Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 240 KING'S X - GRETCHEN GOES TO NEBRASKA (1989)

Artist: King's X

Genre: Rock

Country Of Origin: United States

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Gretchen Goes To Nebraska

Producer: Sam Taylor/King's X

Release Date: June 27, 1989

Running Time: 52:20

RJ's Top 3 Songs: 1. Over My Head...2. Summerland...3. Fall On Me

RIAA Certification: Cobalt

Billboard Chart Position: #123

Singles: Over My Head and Summerland (Neither charted)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it). 

Here's a band I haven't featured before, King's X.  I'm not much of an authority on the band, but I do like some of their stuff.  I had one album on cassette way back when, but I can't for the life of me remember which one it was.

Nothing wrong with this one.  As a matter of fact, Over My Head is a flat out terrific song. But that's really all I have to say for this week.  

1. Out Of The Silent Planet

2. Over My Head

3. Summerland

4. Everybody Knows A Little Bit Of Something

5. The Difference (In The Garden of St. Anne's-on-the-Hill)

6. I'll Never Be The Same

7. Mission

8. Fall On Me

9. Pleiades

10. Don't Believe It (It's Easier Said Than Done)

11. Send A Message

12. The Burning Down

Views: 419

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was a fan, but only in the last couple of years in the 80's. 

I think, I stopped buying their albums after the release of "Dogman". A bit weird, because that album was their best in years. But I had "moved on".

This one was probably my overall favorite album of 1989, but as I remember, not many good albums were released in 1989. 

It's been a long time since I listened all the way through the album, but some of the tracks are among King's X's finest work, especially "Over My Head" and "Pleiades".

You know, as far as what's been posted on this site, I'm batting a thousand when it comes to not liking Kings X and any of their side projects ...

However...  I like the riff on the opener.  But the vocals are flat and the chorus is non-existent and the tune ends up disappearing into the background, kinda like going to Nebraska, ain't nobody got time for that!  Over My Head, is better, but only slightly as it some nice melodic moments and cool geetarsmanship and you know I like those.  Still the song suffers vocally.  I think the writing of a catchy chorus escapes these guys.

Summerland continues the upward momentum with a nice mid-tempo rocker, more interesting and very catchy geetarsmanship.  Still the vocal and chorus issues persist.

ENALBOS slides back a bit.  I like the funk of it and the bass line is always fun when put together this way.  Can't find anything wrong with the geetar work!

The Difference ...  well its kinda like wash rinse repeat at this point...  I listen to the rest and I have to admit it kinda got lost in the background.  This is clearly better than what has been posted to date, as evidenced by the fact that I made it through it all, but still not a purchase nor something I will revisit.

Hey is that Ziltoid at the end?

Thanks to MTV, this was the first King's X album I bought, on cassette, which I still have. Went to a record show in Omaha, and found the first one and from then on, everytime a new album came out, I was on it like buttah.

I lent this album and Kansas' "In The Spirit Of Things" to a friend and both of these albums blew him away. He returned my albums and bought those two. Don't know why I brought this up, maybe it's because this is one of the very few people you've heard about that actually returned borrowed albums.

Scott is so off on his review. I think he has a tumah. How anyone could not like this album is beyond me, and maked me want to post MORE King's X. He doesn't know what he's missing.

Even though this is a fine album, it's not my favorite. That goes to "Dogman", but their first seven albums are so good, I should just make them all #1. 

Scott needs to be schooled. Harshly.

King's X fall in the "should have been bigger" class. They have a ton of solid albums and are truly great musicians. I think the problem with the band was nothing really stood out about their music. They wrote solid songs and the musicianship was good but most of their songs weren't particularly catchy (Over My Head and a few others were the exception) Still, I highly recommend them and Gretchen Goes To Nebraska is probably my favorite album by them.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos