Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes

Album: IV

Producer: Jimmy Page

Release Date: 1971

Running Time: 42:25

RIAA Certification: 23 X Platinum

Peak Billboard Chart Position: 2

Singles: Black Dog/Rock And Roll

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it). 

I'm fresh off of vacation, so this post is a day late.  But hey, it's Led Zeppelin, so it's worth the wait.  Led Zeppelin IV is not everybody's favorite Zeppelin album, but it is my favorite.  If you are one of the folks that do not claim it as your favorite, I don't think you would argue that it is one of the greatest of all-time.  Maybe you would, who knows?

Anyway, can you believe that IV is one of only three Zeppelin albums that did not reach the top spot on the Billboard charts?  It only managed a number two showing.  Which is especially intriguing seeing as how it has been certified 23 X Platinum by the RIAA.  Think about this, there are five albums that have been certified 23 X Platinum or better (The Eagles Greatest Hits Volume 1 at 29 X, Michael Jackson's Thriller at 29 X, Billy Joel's Greatest Hits Vol. 1 and Vol 2 at 23 X, Pink Floyd's The Wall at 23 X and Led Zeppelin's IV at 23 X).  That is an impressive list, but only Jackson and Zeppelin's albums were single studio albums.  Two of these were greatest hits and one was a studio double album, which only had to sell half of the number that the single albums had to sell (double albums count two for one if it is over 100 minutes in length or from the vinyl era).

The album itself jumps out at you from the beginning.  Black Dog has a tremendous riff and the most ridiculous (in an amazing way) time signature ever.  The Battle of Evermore is epic and may have been somewhat overshadowed by the following tune, which pretty much wins any "greatest song of all-time" contest.  Side two is also full of goodness.  Bonham's drumming is so heavy handed on this album.  It's what heavy drumming should always sound like, without the thump of a double bass drum.  All four guys are at the peak of their game on this album.  

It's readily available and has recently been released in a deluxe reissue version.  Most likely, those reading this own this album.  But, if in some strange world you do not, you should definitely be ashamed of yourself. What say you? 

Side One:

1. Black Dog

2. Rock And Roll

3. The Battle Of Evermore

4. Stairway To Heaven

Side Two:

5. Misty Mountain Hop

6. Four Sticks

7. Going To California

8. When The Levee Breaks

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now we're talking 

The second-best album of all time, if you ask me, and I know, you do.

The first Zeppelin-album, I bought, back in 1988. I thought it sounded a BIT dated, but still, I could hear it was much. much better than the rubbish, that was created around that time.

There's not one bad track on the album. I'm not even tired of STH, but it never was one of my favorite Zeppelin-tracks. It's great off course, but they've made so many greater tracks imo.

I always thought, that Plant was the weakest link in the Zeppelin-sound. Mayby Page should had sacked him, and hired Paul rodgers instead. Oh well, it went allright anyway.

My favorite track on this album is probably "When The Levee Breaks"

I've bought the album 3 times: On vinyl, CD and the Super Deluxe Box from last year.

I could never imagine Plant being a weak link.  But I couldn't imagine any of the other three being that either. 

I knew this would make you a bit happier.  As for the near future, who knows?  I'm bound to post some American music in there somewhere.

Listened to this a couple months ago, wish you would post albums I haven't listened to for at least a year. Just sayin'.

I'll see what I can do next week Homey.

I respect the Jon listening list... just sayin'

As I got to the end of this album (again), it dawned on me that the last track is really, really good and I wondered if there was a one-of-a-kind, ORIGINAL post or two about great last tracks. Not, say, a copycat list, but a true blue original. There's just gotta be, somewhere. 

Since I had listened to this album quite recently, I am kinda burned out on it and it won't be my favorite LZ album. Today my favorite LZ album is "III" because the cover keeps me very much occupied. The music's ok, but the cover wins out over everything.

I think I've heard "Stairway To Heaven" on the radio a couple times.

My favorite Led Zeppelin album is Houses of the Holy but I've said that before, probably a thousand times, but I know Jon has a bad memory.  I think this is near perfection, if it wasn't for "Four Sticks" it would be 100% and give HotH a run for its money.

I love Going To California, what a great song!  Black Dog is bit overrated IMO - great tune don't get me wrong - but a bit overrated.  Rock and Roll kills!  And I love Hearts cover.  Ann Wilson is the only singer alive capable of covering Plants vocals - she may even sound better in spots.  The Battle of Evermore and Misty Mountain Hop never get old.

And When The Levee Breaks, as I've said before, should've made my one and only, 100% unique, never duplicated, Closers playlist...  But whadda ya do?

Nice post boss!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos