Classic Rock Bottom

Artist: Average White Band

Band Members: Alan Gorrie (Vocals/Bass)/Hamish Stewart (Vocals/Lead Guitar)/Roger Ball (Keyboards/Sax)/Malcolm (Molly) Duncan (Tenor Sax)/Onnie McIntyre (Backing Vocals/Guitar)/Robbie McIntosh (Drums/Percussion)

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No 

Album: AWB

Producer: Arif Mardin

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

What are the chances that you are familiar with this week's featured artist?  If you are like me, not much of a chance.  AWB is the Average White Band's second album.  The band is a funk and r&b band that hails from Scotland.  

AWB was a huge selling album.  It reached number one on the Billboard Pop Albums chart as well as on the Black Albums chart.  It also spawned a number one Billboard single in the instrumental Pick Up The Pieces.  You might be familiar with that one.  Other than that, it's new to me and I don't really have a history with it.  Here is a very short review posted on the Amazon site:

The mid-'70s song "Play that Funky Music White Boy" was by Wild Cherry, but if you really want a bunch of pigmentally challenged males to play some funky music, then call on the Average White Band. This band of Scots was anything but average. This 1975 debut featured the smoking instrumental "Pick up the Pieces," which merged hard-bop precision with funk's wanton playfulness. Their vocal numbers, such as "Schoolboy Crush," were also very good. Much of the music from this record has been covered by smooth jazz artists yearning for an edge (like Candy Dulfer) and sampled by savvy DJs. The Average White Band ran short on ideas after a few recordings, but the ones presented here deserve your rapt attention. --Martin Johnson

The album is readily available on Amazon.  I got my copy used for around 6 bucks.  And that is a remastered version.

Side One:

1. You Got It

2. Got The Love

3. Pick Up The Pieces

4. Person To Person 

5. Work To Do

Side Two:

6. Nothing You Can Do

7. Just Wanna Love You Tonight

8. Keepin' It To Myself

9. I Just Can't Give You Up

10. There's Always Someone Waiting

Views: 1066

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know, what it is with you guys and Funk?!

First song sounds a bit like a Steve Winwood-song. It's actually pretty good. Probably because it's from good old 1974.

Second song is not really for me. Too much funk!!

Third song, I know!! I have no idea from where?

Fourth song has a "RHCP-riff". Come to think of it, the only funk-albums I ever bough are probably by Chili Peppers. Second best song so far.

Fifth one: Good start! Not a very good chorus, though. Sounds like Marvin Gaye. Nice wíth the guitar, though.

Side two, and the first one: Nah, this is the kind of music, my sister listened to, while I was listening to Van Halen. Not for me!!!!!!!!! Ydrk!!!

Next one is kind of the same. This one reminds me a bit of a boring Stevie Wonder-song. Nope!!! Gaddamn, what IS it with you guys??!!!

Next in line is more of the same. Either it's me, who get's more and more sick of this sh.., or else is side two much worse than side one, which was kind of okay?! It has kind of a good melodi, this one, though. Best one so far on side two.

Next one is terrible!!! Come on, Jeff. This is a ROCK-site!!!!!!!!!!

At long last, at the end: No surprise, another crap-song to end it all.

Bottomline: I hate Funk!!!!!!

I wish there was an edited version of the album cover since it's so naughty and it might put bad thoughts into the kiddies heads.

There's a couple songs I've heard off of this before today and I have had this in my cart numerous times throughout the years but have always deleted it at the last minute. I figure it will always be available so one day I just might get this.

There's a little bit o' funk on this, but it's mostly jazzy R&B so it does make sense that smooth jazz artists would cover a lot of these songs. There's really not a bad song on here at all, have always dug "Pick Up The Pieces" since THAT'S quite funky. The rest is groovy grooves to mellow out to. 

I see this album and I will raise the bar tomorrow with a funk masterpiece!

I get an immediate familiarity with the opening vocals, but cant place it.  Musically its got an early Steely Dan feel but only because of the keyboards.  The production is very good for the time, I love the snap of the snare drum, one of my favorite sounds!

Person to Person is the first slipup IMO.  Work to Do starts to get this back on track and I liked the way-too-brief guitar work in the middle of it, needs way more of that.  Very consistent album, very R&B/jazzy and that's a good thing.  Would have liked it more if they would have fully invested in that instead of inserting some soul and funk into it.  Best track for me was I Just Can't Give You Up.  Album feels like an influencer album more than a bunch of hit tunes and I like that to.

Album cover reminds me of a notebook cover doodle from Junior High or High School.  Nice work!!!

I thought this album was okay, nothing special.  I bought it specifically for this series.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos