Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 275 TRAFFIC - JOHN BARLEYCORN MUST DIE (1970)

Artist: Traffic

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes (2004) 

Album: John Barleycorn Must Die

Producer: Chris Blackwell, Steve Winwood, Guy Stevens

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

First weekend of the month means one thing and one thing only...time for an anniversary album.  I've got Traffic's John Barleycorn Must Die for you.  It's the band's fourth album and it reached the number five slot on the Billboard 200 album chart.  It was also certified Gold by the RIAA.  There was one single released, Empty Pages, and it managed  a top 100 showing, maxing out at number 74. 

So here's the gist of what happened.  Traffic disbanded in 1968 due to the departure of Dave Mason.  Steve Winwood joined Blind Faith while Jim Capaldi and Chris Wood continued on as session players.  Winwood started work on what was to be a solo album, but he eventually brought Capaldi and Wood in and it became a Traffic reunion.  

The result is what you hear here.  You can pick up a remastered copy from Amazon for less than 8 bucks.  That version has a couple of bonus tracks as well.  This is an album I have only recently purchased myself so I have no history with it (in case you were wondering).  

Side One:

1. Glad

2. Freedom Rider

3. Empty Pages

Side Two:

4. Stranger To Himself

5. John Barleycorn (Must Die)

6. Every Mother's Son

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exellent choise!! Why? Because I'm reading a magazine at the moment called "The History Of Rock", and I've just  finished reading editon 3, called "1967" ("1968" is out next week, "1969" in november and so forth) and Traffic is one of the bands featured in these magazines. Another reason is, that some time in the future, I'll post a Steve Winwood-special in VOTW, and I have checked out at least one Traffic-"video". Therefore, I'm very interested in listening to this album, which I haven't heard before, not that I can remember.

1. A nice instrumental track. Reminds me a litle bit of a Frank Zappa-instrumental from around the same time. They play very well on their instruments. As you, RJ, I'm not THAT much a fan of instrumental tracks, but one or two per album is okay. A whole album is much too much. This one is good, though.

2. Ahhh, Winwood sings!! And he's a very good singer. They sound a bit like Procol Harem. It's a bit simple this song, but again they play really, really well. I like this one too. A bit proggish. I like the flute-solo and the piano. I don't like the sax. 

3. The start sounds kind of like classic Genesis. Again it sounds like Prog to me, which isn't bad at all. I really like Winwood's voice, and the way he plays the keayboard. I wish, you could buy a "best of Winwood" from his whole career, maybe you can, but it should be a GOOD one. I'll have to check. This song is the best one so far.

4. A very fine piano-riff. More of the same fine music. So far, not a bad track on this album.

5. Nice with some guitar even though the keyboards sounds great. A bit Dylan-inspiration on this one. But it could also appear in a Robin Hood-movie or something like that. "Little Sir John" he sang right after I wrote Robin Hood!! Again, I like the song, and I like the fact, that it's not the same as any of the other tracks. The flute makes it even sound like a Jethro tull-song. That means, Scott will fall asleep before the song is over. I think it's good stuff.

6.  It could had been nice with a rocker at the end. Well, there's at least an electric guitar, but it's a bit of a slow track, or maybe I'm beginning to get tired of this music? It seems to be the weakest track so far. And therefore a long track.

Bottomline: I was pleasantly surprised, that the album was as good as it is. Will I buy it? No, since I can probably find it on Spotify.

Keep up the good work, RJ.

This is a fantastic album. Most of these tracks are still played on the radio (or whatever radio-type thing you might listen to) so it obviously has a teeny weeny bit of staying power. There's really not much more to say, but if you don't have this album you need to get it and then the rest of the early Traffic albums.

Amazon MP3 had The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys once for 5 dollars, having never heard them, but hearing lots about them, I took a chance and love it!  Then I seen the Deluxe Edition John Barleycorn Must Die and picked it up as well.  This also sparked a renaissance within me for Steve Winwoods solo stuff.  So I am glad to hear we will be seeing/hearing more of this guy.

Though its very melodic it does have a proggy feel, and that's a perfect mix for a guy like me!  Freedom Rider is just way cool and way good, but like Niels says, it just keeps getting better with each song.  The keyboards are always perfect and the back beats are nice, the production is really great for the times.

Then you get to the title track and the acoustic work is very fine and clocking in over 6 minutes of acoustic guitar you would think it may kind of drone on, but it doesn't and its a quick 6 minutes.  The closer could've been better I agree but it still a cool tune the keyboards really seal the deal though, nice album and nice choice!!

I concur.  This was a pretty good album.  I really know nothing about Traffic, and although I never got into his solo work, I've always liked Winwood's voice.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos