Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 277 HAWKWIND - HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN GRILL (1974)

Artist: Hawkwind

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: Hall Of The Mountain Grill

Producer: Roy Thomas Baker/Doug Bennett/Hawkwind

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

We made it.  The end of our trip through the first half of the 70's has arrived.  We started back on May 8th with Led Zeppelin and we end it on October 15th with Hawkwind.  Your Album of the Week is Hall Of The Mountain Grill.  

Now, for total honesty.  The only thing I know about Hawkwind is that Lemmy was in the band (pre-Motorhead). They are supposedly a space rock band (whatever the heck that is) and this is supposedly their best album.  A couple of the songs were recorded live and overdubbed in the studio.  It was not a chart success here in the U.S.  It did not crack the Top 100 on the albums chart.

This one is easy to find.  I actually bought it for this trip through the early 70's.  I had never heard it or anything else from Hawkwind and I just wanted to see what it sounds like.  Pick it up if you like it, it's just ten U.S. dollars and change.  That's a bargain.

Side One:

1. The Psychedelic Warlords (Disappear In Smoke)

2. Wind Of Change

3. D-Rider

4. Web Weaver

Side Two:

5. You'd Better Believe It

6. Hall Of The Mountain Grill

7. Lost Johnny

8. Goat Willow

9. Paradox

Views: 97

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Space Rock is basically prog with sci-fi themes. Think that would be clear with the sound of, gee, a rocket on this album. C'mon!

I also believe it's the type of music you listen to in your dark basement/bedroom while wearing headphones and getting stoned. Kind of like early Pink Floyd. Or REALLY early UFO.

Plus the album cover is spacey. And it's a rock band. 

Therefore, Space Rock.

I have some Hawkwind, but not this album. It's not bad, but it tends to get a bit repetitious after awhile. It also sounds like a product of the seventies, especially the production.

Always thought the band name was cool.

Nice, and interesting post. Interesting because you posted it.

• Space Rock Lemmy
  • Melodic Lemmy
  • Keyboard Lemmy
  • Less Distortion Lemmy
  • Atmospheric Lemmy

Weird man!!

First track is ok, its made more interesting since I'm trying to hear Lemmy's influence.  But since I am not a Motorhead fan I don't know much beyond Ace of Spades, but I know enough to know this is way outside of what I expected. But if the first track threw you for a loop, wait until the second track!  D-Rider's phaser effect is prevalent in the mix, this is 100% atmospheric.

Web Weaver (Prophetic?)  hmmm...  All instruments join in the atmosphere!  Even the guitar work is phaser effected!  Cool!!! At least in 1974 maybe.

After space trippin' we arrive at the one song Lemmy has a writing credit on and I hear his voice for sure...  I understand he re-recorded this with Motorhead, might be cool to youtube that later!  Still is a beat I wouldn't expect to hear from him especially that sweeping atmospheric guitar in the background and no solo? weird...  This, much like Jon lately, is a kinder-gentler version of himself.  Wonder what made him break out!?

Paradox - finally a riff!!  The guitar player is weak IMO, but this is far and away the best track on the album!

Historically interesting for sure, but had you not let me know that Lemmy was on this I likely would have dismissed it totally.  Not a purchase but interesting none-the-less...

hahaha...  One of these things doesn't quite fit!

Another interesting choice!! I've read a bit about Hawkwind, but have only heard a little bit here and there, never a full album, as far as I remember. Also interesting, that RTB was among the producers. Spacerock sounds good to me, since my main interests are rockmusic and Astronomy.

1. I know this one. I don't really know, what Lemmey's role was in Hawkwind? Was he only the bassist, or did he also sing and write songs? I think, I can hear him in the backgroundvocals. There's a heavy bass-riff on this song.

2. Now, that's a slow start! Oh, it's the whole track!! Filler!!!

3. This one sounds exactly like spacerock. It reminds me of Pink Floyd fronted by Syd Barrett, a bit. It's not bad, but the heavieness of the first track is missing.

4. Well, it's not bad, but a whole album of this is a bit too much. Let's hope side 2 has some good songs.

5. Hey, wasn't that Lemmy singing something? A better track than the 3 last from side 1. Yes!! It's Lemmy singing "..better believe it". He should sing more on this album, since his voice sounds better than ever. 2nd best track so far. A bit long, though.

6. Nice start! But again, it was kind of the whole song, so again: Filler!!

7. A Sabbath-riff to start with. Ahhh, Lemmy on vocals, at last!! The song is heavier already. Definitely among the 3 best tracks so far. There's something about Lemmy, even though I'm definitely not a fan, that spells HEAVY ROCK STAR.

8. Filler!!

9. Sounds like a Neil Young-start. Wow, this get's heavy. Nice riff!! The production on this album kinda sucks. Or maybe it's the band, that can't play that well?! I like the heavieness of the track, but the song is only okay, and the playing is not very good. Maybe it hasn't been on the whole album, but it's now I realize it.

Bottomline: Not a bad listen, and I'm glad I sat though a whole Hawkwind-album. Some songs good/okay, but too much filler. I will never be a fan, becuase they don't play very well. Good for Lemmy to move one, or he was thrown out, as far as I remember.

AOTW is still very interesting to follow.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos