Classic Rock Bottom

Artist: The Move

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Album: The Move

Producer: Denny Cordell

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

This week's Album of the Week is the self-titled debut from The Move.  The Move was a British rock band that was very popular in England during the 60's, though they never gained much traction in the United States.  I'm certainly no expert, but at some point Jeff Lynne joined and the band eventually morphed into the Electric Light Orchestra.

That is one of the two reasons that I had interest in picking this album up.  The other reason was that I had read several times that Paul Stanley was influenced by The Move and specifically used the song Fire Brigade (present here) as a jumping off point to write the song Firehouse.  The two songs certainly sound nothing alike, but I can hear how Fire Brigade influenced him.  

So, have you even heard this album before?  Oh yeah, I bought this for around ten bucks on Amoeba.com.  

Side One:

1. Yellow Rainbow

2. Kilroy Was Here

3. (Here We Go Round) The Lemon Tree

4. Weekend

5. Walk Upon The Water

6. Flowers In The Rain

7. Hey Grandma

Side Two:

8. Useless Information

9. Zing Went The Strings Of My Heard

10. The Girl Outside

11. Fire Brigade

12. Mist On A Monday Morning

13. Cherry Blossom Clinic

Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A very interesting choice.

When I read your comments, I thought that Lynne was on this album, but he's not.

Bev Bevan is a great drummer. He was a friend of John bonham, when this album was released, I've just read in a book. I remember, I saw an ELO-concert on TV in...late 70's/start 80's, and I hadn't noticed earlier how good and powerfull a drummer Bevan is/was. It wasn't a surprise to me, when he joined Black Sabbath in 1983.

While I'm writing this, I'm done with the first two tracks on the album. It sounds very much 1968. It kind of sound like the long lost "brother" of The Who's "..sell out" from the same year. I like that album, and so far, I like this one, even though it's VERY 1968'ish.

Come to think of it, I recently read THE book about Cheap Trick, and apparently they have/had some kind of bond with Roy Wood, meaning he played some concerts with them, and they were inspired by The Move/Roy Wood.

Sometimes, I think Wood sings a bit like a young Ozzy, but that's probably just me.

"Flowers in the rain" stands out a bit on side 1. I like that one the best. Very Beatles' ish or Kinks' ish. But overall, I like side 1, if you put aside the hippie-sound of the late 60's. They play their instruments very well, and the singing is also very good.

"Useless Information" is a bit messy, and ZWTSOMH could had been a track on a Frank Zappa-album, only better played.

"Girl" is ELO in the making. I guess they were ELO even before Lynn entered the picture.

Ah, "Fire Brigade" I've heard many times!! That's a good song, better than KISS's song. Best song on the album, but that might well be, because I've heard it before.

On "Mist" they're trying to "outdo" The Beatles/Paul McCartney. The tune is not as good as McCartney's from that periode.

I actually prefer side 1, which I think would only be better, if I listened a few times more. Side 2 is not as good, only it contains the best song on the album.

I've read about The Move many times, but I've never heard a full album. Thanks for that experience.

I agree totally about Bevan.

Well, now we know where Styx got the title for THAT album from.

I have "Message From The Country" and that supposedly is closer to ELO than this, but I really can't tell. To be honest, it kinda bored me after a couple songs.

The first run through of this album made me feel the same way. After a couple songs, I got kinda bored. I decided to listen to it again since I was too lazy to grab something to listen to before picking up more leaves, and I'm not as bored as before, but I'm also not noticing anything that really stands out and grabs my attention. 

It is an interesting album considering the history behind the group, but it's not something I'm going to pick up.

Cool album cover though.

Thought the same thing about Styx. Also wasn't particularly impressed by this one.

I've only read about this band, but have always wondered what they sounded like.  Had to double check my audio settings as the mastering of this is an issue, very think and no real depth.  But that doesn't mean anything other than the CD treatment is poor...

The tunes are very mid-to-late 60's.  I have no hint of anything ELO here, likely because Lynne is absent for this one.  Definitely a sound that's well before my time and not stylistically interesting to me.  Maybe it just too much of a period piece.  I think some 90's music suffers from this same phenomena.

Grandma, Flowers in the Rain, Cherry Blossoms, Misty Monday Mornings, Lemon Trees ... were these guys a little upbeat or what!! And what does Zing Went The Strings Of My Heard mean? Maybe its supposed to Heart?  Just guessing...  Anyway, weirdest song here, and that's saying something!!  But its also the most interesting for some reason as well!  I hate it when that happens!

I glad you can hear how Fire Brigade influenced Firehouse, because I cant make that leap...

Strange slice in time!  But it is indeed a microcosm of that time period and that's the value proposition here.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos