Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 283 DUSTY SPRINGFIELD - DUSTY IN MEMPHIS (1969)

Artist: Dusty Springfield

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes (1999)

Album: Dusty In Memphis

Producer: Jerry Wexler/Arif Mardin/Tom Dowd

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

This week's album is Dusty Springfield's Dusty In Memphis.  In case you didn't know, Dusty Springfield was an English singer.  The album was a relative failure commercially, yet all of these years later it is often ranked very high on "all-time" best lists (for instance, in 2003 Rolling Stone ranked it at number 89 on it's 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time list).  I don't expect anyone here to be wowed by this, but just give it a listen.  Then you'll always be able to say you did.  

Also, I don't feel like typing, so here is a 2002 review by Peter Marsh for the BBC Review:

Despite its status as a classic record, Dusty in Memphis had less than auspicious beginnings. By 1968 La Springfield had scored a string of chart successes with what she called 'big ballady things' and her decision to make an album in Memphis, home of hard edged R 'n' B grooves, was viewed with puzzlement by many.

Teaming up with the crack production/arrangement team of Jerry Wexler, Tom Dowd and Arif Mardin (responsible for Aretha Franklin's Atlantic classics) also proved a bit much initially for Springfield, whose confidence in her vocal abilities was never very high. Worried that the session musicians would think she was a sham and unnerved by singing in the same vocal booth as used by Wilson Pickett, Dusty's relationship with her producers became strained, with Wexler claiming he never got a note out of her during the initial sessions in Memphis.

You'd never know this from the recorded evidence though. Springfield unsurprisingly resists any temptation to do an Aretha, instead relying on understatement, timing and delivery rather than vocal firepower. The songs (all by Brill building denizens) are all top notch, and Springfield's interpretation of them is peerless, almost to the point that it's tempting to slap a preservation order on them to stop any attempts at future covers from the likes of Sharleen Spiteri. Likewise Mardin's sensitive blend of Bacharach poise and Memphis funk provides the perfect frame for Dusty's blue eyed soul.

'Son of A Preacher Man' and 'Breakfast in Bed' hum with a potent mix of vulnerability and knowing desire; though both songs are pretty much ingrained in the psyche of anyone of a certain age, they still retain a hefty emotional charge. On the other hand, Randy Newman's 'I Don't Want to Hear It Anymore' and 'I Can't Make It Alone' must rank amongst the finest ballad performances you're likely to hear, and Springfield even makes the cod psychedelic inanities of Michel Legrand's 'The Windmills of Your Mind" seem almost meaningful.

The cover boasts a sticker proclaiming that this record made it into Rolling Stone's Coolest records of All Time Top 10. Don't let that put you off; if you have ears, you need this album...

I got my copy for a penny less than 4 dollars.  In case you are interested.

Side One: 

1. Just A Little Lovin'

2. So Much Love

3. Son Of A Preacherman

4. I Don't Want To Hear It Anymore

5. Don't Forget About Me

6. Breakfast In Bed

Side Two:

7. Just One Smile

8. The Windmills Of Your Mind

9. In The Land Of Make Believe

10. No Easy Way Down

11. I Can't Make It Alone

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is totally the utmost coolest of cool album I've listened to today. Don't know why anyone wouldn't like this because it's so, well, COOL. For some reason, this album is just the right album to listen to today, at least for me. When you have the flu (or maybe it's a brain tumah?) there's certain types of music that makes you feel better. Or, maybe it just makes me feel better.

I'm sure this is going to turn into background music for some, but it's really has kept my interest all the way thru. There's some nice geetar work throughout, for those into that type of thing. I've had this going on a loop for quite awhile now, will probably let it keep going until I pass out. 

Awesome pick, I must say. And no, now of the above was sarcasm. This is really that damn good.  

Do you have the flu?

Most probably.

Man, that stinks. Hope you feel better so you can get out tomorrow and score some great music deals.

There's really nothing, but Culture Factory has a nice sale going on.

I've always liked Dusty Springfields voice. I don't know, what it's called in english/american, but I would call it a "Bedtime-voice".

I don't know, when I first heard it, but it was very recognizable when that Pet Shop Boy's-song was played a lot on the radio in the late 80's.

Later on, in the late 90's, I bought a Burt Bacharach-box set, and one of my favorite songs on that set is "The Look Of Love". A great song, and off course sung by Ms. Springfield.

"Dusty In Memphis" sounds like a live-album to me, but it's not.

I don't really want to comment on every song this time around.

It's easy listening, and a pleassent listening, but...............sloooooooooowwwwww!!!!

I never was a fan of the song "Preacherman". Another one of those songs, that every idiot (sorry?) loves, especially those, that haven't got a clue, what good music is.

The rest of the songs, I'm not familiar with, and they sound fine, but.....when you're not "into" this kind of music right now, I'm afraid, it's just something, that....the sooner it's over, the better.

Don't get me wrong, it's good music, but so is some of Michael Jackson's music, but I never-ever-ever listen to his music at my own free will. I would never put on this album, if I had a choice, because there's sooooooo many other albums, that have much more interest to me at the moment. 

But a part of the music-history, and therefore relevant for me I guess.

Okay that was side one......must stay.....awake.................

"The Windmills Of Your Mind" I know very well. Isn't that a french song, originally? One of those songs, that reminds you of something from your childhood.

Well, I actually blame CRB or that Classic rock site we "met" 7 years ago or so, that I don't really care about music like this anymore, or at least now, since I was "experimenting" a lot more with different music-styles around 2005'ish, like Jazz, Opera (yes, Opera) and easylistening music like this, but suddently I "had" to go back to 80's/90's rock once again, even though I kind of had left it behind me. I WAS listening to 60's/70's rockmusic, and it's still my favorite kind of music. Okay, something good came out of it as well, because I don't think, I'd broaden my love of Prog so much, if I hadn't "met" any of you guys.

Hey, whatdoyouknow!! I've been "talking" for so long, that the album is done!! Now I can say, that I've listened to a whole album by Dusty.

Sidenote:  Hope you feel better Jon!!

Gotta admit that this didn't really didn't get my attention when it posted.  I know only of her "demons" and that one song from the Bond films...  OK, maybe a few other songs, like the preacher man one here...  But, this has a bit of a too old for my tastes feel to it, much like the Orbison.

I do dig the voice she has, Sultry was the word I got, but Niels nailed the description better,  Bedroom voice is perfect!  Smoky sultry!

The threat of fading into the background crept in but was often interrupted.  Don't Forget About Me, for example, made me sit up and listen, and then Breakfast in Bed slid back a bit.  Gotta say that voice though, its mesmerizing!  Just One Smile really nice!  It really makes me think of Ann Wilson. Seriously, listen to this track and go back to Hearts debut and give a listen to parts of Soul of the Sea...  cool stuff! Easily my favorite track here...  Windmills of my Mind and In The Land Of Make Believe fade into the background.  The final two tracks do pull me back in but only partially...

There is much to like about this and much to contradict my initial feelings, but ultimately, and for me, they were confirmed with the exception of Just One Smile.  This is definitely left of my wheelhouse (whatever that is).  This series is filling in some serious gaps in my classic rock knowledge, so I'm enjoying it a lot...  

What song from the Bond films?

Yeah.....that's not considered a "Bond film".

Not a film buff, so I'll trust you...  but I do remember this one.

It's a spoof of Bond, it has Woody Allen playing Jimmy Bond, so you kinda know what you're getting into. Interesting to watch if you're into the 60's scene, man, but you'll foget about it quite quickly. 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos