Classic Rock Bottom

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

We continue our look at Billboard number one albums this week.  Your Album of the Week is Harvest by Neil Young. The album was released on February 14, 1972.  The album reached the number one slot during the week of March 11, 1972 and stayed there for two weeks total.  The album has been certified 4 X Platinum, while the singles Heart Of Gold and Old Man reached number 1 and number 31 respectively, on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.  

I can't say this album has any special meaning to me.  I've only owned it for a couple of years.  But it's a really good album if you ask me.  It has a lot of acoustic work and has a feel of current day Americana.  There's not a bad song here, but my absolute favorites are Old Man and The Needle And The Damage Done.  These are both absolute masterpieces.  Heart Of Gold Was is terrific as well.  

As far as availability goes, it can be had new for around ten American dollars.  

Side One:

1. Out On The Weekend

2. Harvest

3. A Man Needs A Maid

4. Heart Of Gold

5. Are You Ready For The Country?

Side Two:

6. Old Man

7. There's A World

8. Alabama

9. The Needle And The Damage Done

10. Words (Between The Lines Of Age)

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Awesome album!!

This is probably Young's best album, though I'm no expert. I only own a double-best of, a box-set full of "best of's" and live-performances and then a live-cd, I bought 2 years ago.

But considering which songs, I like the best from the albums I've got, quite a few of them appear on Harvest.

Especially Old Man, which is one of the best songs ever!

But also A Man Needs A Maid, Heart Of Gold and The Needle And The Damamge Done are stellar songs, and definitely among the best, Neil Young ever wrote.

Out On The Weekend is a nice opener.

Harvest, the title-track is not (imo) among the best tracks. It needs a good chorus.

AMNAM....I love that song, both melodi and lyrics and the production. Biiiig sound. Absolutely amazing!!!

HOG is probably the nearest, Young ever got, writing a Top 10-hit. Love it!! Brilliant melodi.

"Are You Ready..." is also great. You can't sit still, and I'm tapping my foot here at work right now.

Ahhhh......"Old Man"!!! The shivers run down my spine each and every time I hear this song. Must be in my top 10 over best songs ever?! What's not to love about this song?!!! The worst thing about it, is that it's too short.

There's A World has a start, that sounds like a start to an Ozzy Osbourne-song. Not the best song on the album, obviously.

Alabama is much better.

But not as good as TNATDD another one of my absolute favorite NY-songs. Again absolutely brilliant!!

Words is nothing really special, but nevertheless a good song to finish of one of alltimes best albums, though Young sometimes has the abillity to make the songs way longer, than they should be (imo).

Best AOTW so far in 2016 

Just amazing this was #1, proving the point that people had better taste in music back then compared to now.

This is the third killer album in a row from NY, coming after Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere and After The Gold Rush and he continued putting out quality albums for many years to come. Kinda lost is with Trans in the early 80's, but he made a wonderful comeback in the latter part of the 80's, so it's all good.

I like the rockin' NY but also really like his mellow songs, even if they are country. But they're NY country so it's all good. 

This would probably be in my top five NY albums, with the #1 spot going to "Rust Never Sleeps". Just an amazing album. 

Nice post.

Easily his best album IMO, but I love Harvest Moon also which I've always associated to this album as well.  Seems to me they are companions even though 20 years separates them.  Many others seem to agree though I've never heard Young say there was an intentional association. 

Harvest without the Moon is classic, strangely it was the Comes a Time and Rust Never Sleeps albums that introduced me to his solo stuff.  From there I raided my brothers collection and harvested this (pun intended).  I have no critical comments to make or issues with anything on this one.  It plays starts to finish and nothing needs skipping.

If you don't own then you either don't like Youngs music or classic rock...  Its a must have!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos