Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 290 EAGLES - THEIR GREATEST HITS (1971-1975) (1976)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

I'm making and exception to the usual format this week.  Actually, I'm making two exceptions.  First, I don't normally post "greatest hits" albums. Secondly, I normally post anniversary albums on the week of the first Friday of each month.  But the rock world lost and icon this week.  Mr. Glenn Frey.  I'm posting this album because it means a lot to me.  I played it non-stop in the late 80's, early 90's when I was preparing to leave home for school and when I was off at school.  

Undoubtedly, I'm not the only one who played it a lot.  It has been certified 29 X Platinum in the United States. That would be tied with Thriller by Michael Jackson as the only two albums to have attained that certification.  It contained two number one hits and seven other Top 40 hits, along with one album track (Desperado).  It was a number one album (so I am keeping with that theme) and it stayed number one at the end of 1976 for a total of 9 weeks.  Glenn Frey co-wrote 7 of the 10 songs represented here, and he performed lead vocals on 5 of them.

I know that the Eagles are not beloved by everyone, but they are loved by many.  Count me in that latter group. I am quite sad that Glenn Frey has left us, but I will always be thankful for his musical legacy.  Rest in peace Mr. Frey. 

Side One:

1. Take It Easy

2. Witchy Woman

3. Lyin' Eyes

4. Already Gone

5. Desperado

Side Two:

6. One Of These Nights

7. Tequila Sunrise

8. Take It To The Limit

9. Peaceful Easy Feeling

10. Best Of My Love

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was one of those 29 trillion people that bought this album, listened to it maybe once and never listened to it again. Just too country and mellow for my taste back then.

Nowadays I guess I kinda stand The Eagles, but mostly like it when they rock and there's very little of that here. But I can say that I have heard these songs numerous times on the radio, so I'm used to them. There's absolutely no chance I would buy this again since I have that double greatest hits comp from a few years ago as well as Hotel California and The Long Run as well as their last album, so that's good enough for me. At least they rocked out on those first two albums I mentioned, moreso on TLR. 

Nice pick but I'll probably not listen to this ever again. How weird is that?

Oh,  for some reason this starts at track 11. It does play the whole album, but there's an additional 10 tracks of nothingness at the beginning. 

I'm not at home, but I'll try to fix the player this afternoon.

Hopefully it's working properly now.

I am not one of the 29 million purchasers, I elected to own each album instead..  and a box set.. and a different greatest hits package with Hole In The World on it, but in my defense the latter was a gift.  My brother on the other hand was one of the 29 million, and I raided his collection early and often.  I distinctly remember seeing the cover and thinking the band would be harder edged than they turned out to be, why I don't know, but that's a clear memory I have.

Oh Well...

No real need to listen, I know everything here by heart.  I was taken by surprise when the news of Freys death came out.  Had no idea he was that ill.  Totally devastating really, the guys a genius in the music world.  I credit him for keeping one of all time favorite country rocks bands in obscurity by pilfering their song writing bass player, not once but twice.

Oh Well...

I can only imagine that music thats in the vault, and its got to be loaded!  Think about how long these guys took in the studio to create records, the cutting room floor has got to be a gold mine, especially now.  Makes me wonder how the band will proceed, but my gut says this is it, over, done with.  Nothing more will see the light of day, but theres that one in a million chance, so to quote Lloyd Christmas "So youre saying theres chance!?"  - to write the proper ending is the quesiton of the day, and Im waiting to see what they do...

I can't imagine that they would try to carry on as The Eagles in any way, shape or form.  Henley is such a control freak, I'd be really surprised if we ever see anything from the cutting room floor.   

Agreed...  but maybe theres a chance?

You know, what I think of The Eagles.

Kind of like, what Scott thinks of Jethro Tull, I guess.

But I admid, they have made some fine songs, especially Hotel California, but also One Of These Nights, but then I'll guess, that's it, speaking for myself.

IMO it's one of those VERY american bands/artists, that I really can't see the "greatness" in, like Journey and Springsteen, just like Jeff can't see, that Mott The Hoople are any good.

I HAVE tried liking The Eagles a few time. I had a different "Best of" at some point, but only my guests put it on at partys. I started looking at the documentary on Netflix, but it was sooooooooo boring.

What can I say, sorry Glen Frey is dead, but it doesn't really mean anything to me at all. And it certainly won't make me go out and buy Eagles-albums, that's for sure.

Mott is definitely too European.

All The Young Dudes album is pretty good!  You may like it, very Stones-esque if you ask me...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos