Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 295 THE BLUES BROTHERS - BRIEFCASE FULL OF BLUES (1978)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

This week's number one album is Briefcase Full of Blues by The Blues Brothers.  For those of you not familiar with The Blues Brothers, they started out as a sketch on Saturday Night Live in the 70's.  The sketch starred John Belushi as Jake E. Blues (lead vocals) and Dan Akroyd as Elwood J. Blues (harmonica and backing vocals). It grew from there into several albums and even a movie.  As for the debut album, it spent one whole week in the top position of the Billboard 200 album chart (week of January 27, 1979).  It also spun a couple of Top 40 hits with Soul Man and Rubber Biscuit topping out at #14 and #37, respectively.  

I remember both of those songs, though I can't really recall hearing anything else from the album back then.  I always thought they were saying "I'm a so mad" instead of "I'm a soul man".  Yep, I was 13, I didn't have a clue. But I thought that was a cool song, and I even liked Rubber Biscuit.  As a matter of fact, I just heard the latter song on the radio the other day.  One thing I noticed when listening to this, John Belushi reminds me of Drew Carey when he talks between songs.  Really flat, just like Carey did/does on The Price Is Right.

What about you?  What did you think of this band?  

Tracks:

1. Opening: I Can't Turn You Loose

2. Hey Bartender

3. Messin' With The Kid

4. I've Got Everything I Need (Almost)

5. Rubber Biscuit

6. Shotgun Blues

7. Groove Me

8. I Don't Know

9. Soul Man

10. "B" Movie Boxcar Blues

11. Flip, Flop & Fly

12. Closing: I Can't Turn You Loose

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had the 45 of "Gimme Some Lovin'" way back then. Thought it was pretty cool. What's strange is I searched for it on the ole internet and it doesn't sound anything like I remember. Either I'm way off with my memory or something is wrong.

This really isn't that bad. I kinda remember when it came out and there was some talk about it in school, but I didn't really care. I think I thought it was just a joke because of Belushi and Akroyd. Maybe not. Maybe my memory is cloudy on that too.

Granted, Belushi isn't the greatest singer, but it somehow fits. The band is awesome, maybe they distract from the vocals a bit. It also sounds like it's a bunch of friends having fun, which is really cool.

Now I have the urge to watch the movie, just because it's CLASSIC. Just a buunch of wrecks and stuff blowing up and singing and dancing and........Stephen Spielberg? 

Nice pick, really enjoyed this.

Oh, nice line about how blues music will end up with the classical music in the local library. Not really true, but kinda, in a way. I think. 

I was never interested in this movie. I liked Akroyd and Belushi back then, but that was especially from the movie "Neighbors". I've seen "Blues Brothers", but I don't think, I've ever seen all of the movie. It's boring, and the music is boring too imo. We didn't have "Saturday Night Live" on danish TV back then, so I don't know, if they were funny as the Blues Brothers there.

This is a mix of Blues and soul, and I do prefer The Commitments from 1991 (both movie and music), which is kind of the same music to this one.

"Rubber Biscuit" is kind of funny. Akroyd was always the funniest one imo.

But all in all, this album is too live, too boring, too bluesie, too funky and too slow for me. It probably would had been better, if I could had seen them live on video at the same time as hearing this. Especially Akroyd's weird dance.

Were Putting the band back together....

I do have vivid memories of the Blues Brothers debuting on SNL and the furor that ensued.  It took off big and lasted a long time.  The stoic figures standing there motionless during the intro of Soul Man and then breaking into a wild dancing, awesome stuff.  Also the locked briefcase containing the harmonica, cool bit!

We had a band powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline...

It is very bluesy, this band, and this album, with one reggae respite.  But really they are some of the best session players around, preceding session band like Toto who were similarly prolific.  But I think the idea of the Blues Brothers certainly benefited from the SNL soundstage and these players as they were culled from that group.  The music while bluesy, is pretty cool and loose and at times funny (e.g Rubber Biscuit)

We're on a mission from God...

For as bluesy as this was, everyone enjoyed it.  I'm sure having a sketch and characters take off this way is the Holy Grail of comedy.  One album, one movie and it still stirs up smiles and laughs.  

Mrs. Murphy: May I help you boys?
Elwood: You got any white bread?
Mrs. Murphy: Yes.
Elwood: I'll have some toasted white bread please.
Mrs. Murphy: You want butter or jam on that toast, honey?
Elwood: No ma'am, dry.
[Mrs. Murphy gives him a look, then turns to Jake]
Jake: Got any fried chicken?
Mrs. Murphy: Best damn chicken in the state.
Jake: Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke.
Mrs. Murphy: You want chicken wings or chicken legs?
Jake: Four fried chickens and a Coke.
Elwood: And some dry white toast please.
Mrs. Murphy: Y'all want anything to drink with that?
Elwood: No ma'am.
Jake: A Coke.
Mrs. Murphy: Be up in a minute

And while your at it can you throw this album on?

Great pick!  This was fun!!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos