Classic Rock Bottom

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

We've been discussing albums that reached number one on the main Billboard chart, and this week is no different.  In 1982, the rock supergroup Asia released their debut album.  The self-titled album was the band's highest charting record and also contained two of the band's three biggest hits.  Those hits were the lead track, Heat of the Moment (#4) and Only Time Will Tell (#17).  The song Sole Survivor also received some airplay.  The success of these tracks led to the album receiving a Quadruple Platinum certification by the RIAA.  All of this commercial success allowed the album to spend a total of 9 weeks at the top.  And if all of this isn't enough, both Billboard and Cashbox listed Asia (the album) as the number one album in the United States for the entire year of 1982.

As far as my personal experience with the album, I do not remember owning this at any time back then. Obviously, I own it now, but not back then.  But I remember Heat of the Moment and Only Time Will Tell being all over the radio.  As a matter of fact, the latter is easily my favorite Asia song.  I love everything about it.  The lyrics are terrific, and the music just transports me right back to high school.  This one is definitely a "time travelling" song for me.  I'm sure you have some of those yourself.

If you don't already own this album and you find yourself int the market for it, it's for sale on Amazon for the "classic" rock bottom price of $4.99.  That's actually three bucks less than I pad for it on November 8,2008. That is hard to beat.  So go ahead and pick it up.  You'r collection needs an addition.

Side One:

1. Heat of the Moment

2. Only Time Will Tell

3. Sole Survivor

4. One Step Closer

5. Time Again

Side Two:

6. Wildest Dreams

7. Without You

8. Cutting It Fine

9. Here Comes the Feeling

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Oh no", was my first thought.

ASIA is one of THE 80's AOR-bands, and that's not good at all imo. Prog? 

I bought myself an ASIA-album in.....1985, I believe it was. It must had been the "Astra-album". I HATED it!!!! I can't remember, what I did do with the album, but it's loooong gone.

I don't know, what I hate about this band, other than EVERYTHING.

Heat of the moment is an okay little radio-tune.

Only time will Tell is terrible. 

Sole Survivor has an okay start. Sounds like Mr. Mister, that I really liked in 1985. But then he sings, and it might be his voice, I hate the most...or the production...or the songs, because the songs stinks. Howe is good, though.

One Step closer 

Time again, is fair.

Side two:

WD - Terrible singer!! Awefull Cliché-song!!! At this moment I hate the 80's.

WY - 

CIF - Okay start. But then the song takes off, and it's another crap-song. Downes is not bad, though.

HCTF - Another okay 80's start turns into utter crap!! Downes shines again, though.

I wonder why another Punk-movement wasn't rising after this album?!I would had loved a "I HATE ASIA"-T-shirt.

Sorry, not my cup of Tea, Jeff.

No sorry needed. I don't have the need for anyone to like the albums I post. I'm living in a theme, that's all.

It seems like everyone I knew had this album. It was something "fresh" sounding back then, might be a reason why it sold so well. Might also be the members of the group who all came from strong backgrounds. Might also be that all the songs on this are great. 

The followup, Alpha, was not that good, at least to me. It was an album comprised of ballads with none of the fire shown on the debut. I kinda gave up on them but did buy their third album, Astra, and kinda liked it. It was nothing like Alpha because it rocked.

Now I like Alpha more and I really, REALLY like Astra, but not as much as this album. The only thing is that Howe had left before Astra and was replaced by Mandy Meyer who is more of a hard rock geetarist. But it worked quite nicely.

FINALLY.....for those looking for a remastered version of this album (as well as Alpha, Astra and a plethora of B-sides and rarities) get Gold. This is the same as Anthologia: The 20th Anniversary/Geffen Years Collection (1982-1990) which was released a few years earlier. Gold is a bit cheaper, but both sound very good. Don't know why I have them both, but it is what it is.

My first thoughts on this...

• I own the vinyl but never bought a CD version.
  • First Jon and now RJ are adding album covers to their podsnack player!  Awesome!
  • Oh yeah, I gotta listen now....

That opening riff is still strong and one of my melodic faves.  At the time it was a new feel and sound and it went over big!  I even love the second and third radio hits, Only Time Will Tell and Sole Survivor, I think they've weathered time quite well.

Then Deja-Vu kicks in with One Step Closer, not as strong vocally, but the songwriting has a nice subtle proggy feel that works for me.  Howes work is cool too.  I like this one!  Time Again steps up the prog and that's usually always a good thing!

Side Two continues with the cool subtly of prog in a melodic radio friendly way.  Wetton isn't as good vocally, no doubt, but I like the feel of this album as whole, except for the closer which doesnt really feel like it fits well, it feels like its a bit of the same thing that weve already heard in the previous tracks.  Thankfully they didn't go there until the end.  But its the only miss IMO.  The only other complaint I have and still have is that the drum production is weak, which is surprising given that Palmer was so accomplished at the time. 

Cool post!  Hard to believe we haven't posted this before now...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos