Classic Rock Bottom

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

It's time to take a little break from the "Number One Album" series.  How 'bout I focus the next few weeks on more recent albums?  Albums that I like, of course.  We'll start with one that warmed me to the band Opeth.  It's their 2011 release Heritage.  Anybody that has been here at CRB for a while knows that I'm no fan of Cookie Monster vocals.  I'm no historian of the band, but this album is supposedly the second one that failed to feature the growling.  Lucky for me, because this album is very good.  Jon has featured Opeth before in the Lost/Forgotten AOTW column, and he's even convinced me to listen to one album with those groItesque vocals. I was even impressed with that one.  The album cover is equally impressive.  I bet it would look great as a vinyl release.

But this one moves away from the heavy metal side and more toward the progressive style.  You folks also probably know that I'm not the biggest progressive rock fan either.  But taking the best this band has to offer from each genre works really well for me.  I haven't heard this one in a while, so I need to spin it this week to refresh my memory (by the way, I liked the follow-up to Heritage even more).

A couple of quick stats:

Heritage debuted on the US charts at number 19, a high water mark for the band (the follow-up also hit 19)

Finland is the country where Heritage scored it's highest position, number 2.

The Devil's Orchard and Slither were released as singles.

Slither is a tribute to Ronnie James Dio.

The album was produced by Mikael Akerfeldt and mixed by Steven Wilson.

Heritage appeared in CRB's New Music Corner on September 23, 2011 (posted by Niels) and was named the tenth best album of 2011 here at Classic Rock Bottom.

Tracks:

1. Heritage

2. The Devil's Orchard

3. I Feel The Dark

4. Slither

5. Nepenthe

6. Haxprocess

7. Famine

8. The Lines In My Hand

9. Folklore

10. Marrow of the Earth

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like Opeth, but I'm no fan.

Åkerfeldt is certainly a good singer and guitarist, but I think there is too far between the good solo's, a bit weird since he has proven, that he is cabable, kind of like Prince.

The two best songs from this album are not on this version of the album (Pyre and Face In The Snow). One of the songs, can't remember which, was actually my favorite song in 2011.

The songs on the "actual" album are good, but some of them are.....too weird or whatever. They don't really keep my interest, at least not as interested so I still listen to the album, because I don't really. Kind of the reason why I never bought their newest album, but I listened many times on spotify.

But I have hopes for the next album. They are not bad at all, but imo, they can make a better album.

And don't get me started on their albums with "cookie monster vocals" or whatever it's called. I don't want to listen to such vocals.

The 20 or 30 sec on the new Haken-album almost made me stop listening, but I'm glad I did listen, so I found out, that it only was those 20 or 30 sec, but they still annoy me, when I get to that spot on the "album".

But that's Haken, this is Opeth. I think, I'll listen to this album one of these days. Because of those two extra songs, the album IS better than the last Opeth-album imo.

In an effort to change things up I will be bullet listing my thoughts as I listen....

• Your PodSnack playlist naming skills are at an all-time low... but look on the Brightside, your next playlist will go to 11!
  • Wasn't this in an NMC?
  • Pale Communion is way better and may make my Essential of 10's list when I get to it.
  • Album cover is evil, Jon will love that!
  • Even though Pale Communion is better, this is pretty goll-darn good too!
  • I still hate cookie monster vocals, glad there not on this album
  • Why are all those people eating the fruit from that tree?
  • My watermelon selection skills are at an all-time high!
  • Freaky good guitar work on here!!
  • Slithers a great tune, more of that killer guitar work.  Can you ever have enough killer guitar work?
    • The answer's NO in case anyone was wondering
  • Really liking this, though it has some uneven moments
  • Maybe I'm in a good mood though...
  • Yes this was posted in an NMC by Niels on 9/23/11
    • weird, I didn't like Slither in 2011 and now I like it a lot! The world has turned upside down for me!
  • Folklore is way cool as well
  • I'm getting hungry
  • Why would the song Folklore make me think of how hungry I am?
  • Adding this my wish list...  right after lunch!

I do like this album, but I also like all the Opeth albums. However, if I were to pick an album that only featured "clean" vocals, it would be Damnation. It's just a brilliant album that I never get tired of listening to.

As for ranking this with all the Opeth albums, it wouldn't be near the top, but it's quite hard to rank the albums since they're all brilliant. However, this would rank below Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Damnation, Ghost Reveries, My Arms, Your Hearse and Watershed (which features mostly "clean" vocals). 

Also, Opeth have always been progressive since their first album, be it progressive rock or progressive metal. Just sayin'.

Now, if only you people can realize the brilliance of Damnation, then all would be right in the world. 

I would love to hear Damnation...

http://classic-rock-bottom.ning.com/forum/topics/lostforgotten-albu...

The link is under the evil baby, just click on "Deliverance" and then skip to the song titled "Windowpane" on the player.

Cant believe I left this one unlistened to...  sorry homey!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos