Classic Rock Bottom

Album of the Week #314: Triumph - Progressions Of Power (1980)

This week news broke about Rik Emmet’s new solo project and how it would contain 3 new tracks recorded by the classic lineup of Triumph - the second best Canadian trio ever - so I had to make a last minute adjustment to my posting plans for this week’s Album of the Week. Surprisingly the only full Triumph album that has ever been showcased in the AOTW forum is ‘Just A Game’ and that post was done by me as well. Understandably, there’s no such thing as a Lost/Forgotten Triumph album, so I totally understand why Jon hasn’t showcased this band before either.

Hidden Treasures, however, has done a two-part showcase of the band up through the Thunder Seven album. No Part III to be found though, so I never went back to round out the classic lineups output, an egregious over site on my part. That aside, I’m faced with the dilemma as to which album to post given their best album has already made an appearance… And I chose 1980’s ‘Progressions Of Power” for several reasons, 1) its sandwiched right between the bands best two albums (Just A Game and Allied Forces), 2) though not a lost album it often gets overlooked because of the aforementioned two albums, and therefore deserves some spotlight and lastly its likely their most consistent album, don't believe me? AllMusic will also agree with me …

One of Triumph's most consistent albums (Scott:  See!  Told ya so!), even though it lacked for major chart-topping hits, Progressions of Power proved true to its name when launched by the absolutely relentless "I Live for the Weekend," which along with the self-explanatory "Tear the Roof Off" figured among Moore's most undeniable copyrights ever. What's more, the vocalist/drummer seemed intent on beating Emmett at his own game, submitting a pair of extremely competent singles candidates in the rousing "I Can Survive" and the laid-back, BTO-grooved "Woman in Love" (if not the less dynamic "Nature's Child"). For his part, Emmett was responsible for the memorably moody power ballad "In the Night," the gutsy album closer "Hard Road," and the regrettably Muzak-level schmaltz of "Take My Heart," as well as indulging in one of his always stunning (for the muso fans, anyway) instrumental acoustic showcases -- aptly named "Fingertalkin'."

1. I Live for the Weekend – 5:15
  2. I Can Survive – 4:04
  3. In the Night – 6:16
  4. Nature's Child – 5:45
  5. Woman in Love – 4:44
  6. Take My Heart – 3:33
  7. Tear the Roof Off – 4:34
  8. Finger Talkin' – 2:02
  9. Hard Road – 5:25

Did I mention that these guys are the second best trio in Canada?

Views: 183

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow! This brings back some memories.

Honestly, I can't remember, if I've ever heard this album, but I think so, back in 1980 at a friends house.

Come to think of it, it was probably "Allied forces" from 1981. "Never Surrender" and "Thunder Seven" also looks very familiar.

In 1985 I bought "The Sport Of Kings", which I vagely remember liking. I would like, hearing that again. (It's not on Spotify).

But now regarding this album:

First song sounds kind of like crap to me now. Just like Mötly Crüe, excep for the better playing. The singer sounds a bit like Vince Neil, only slightly better. but the song is not good, just straight forward rock'n'roll, which tend to bore me.

"I Can Survive" is better. Could had been a small hit back then? Nice guitar-solo. This sounds a bit like old Styx to me.

"In The Night" is too simple for me. I seem to remember now, that's why I never really became a fan. They kind of sound like a B-version of other bands. The songs are not strong enough, the singer is weak, they play fine, but is that enough? Nope, not imo, not when they are not better than almost anybody else from that periode. The best about this song is again the guitar-solo, which actually is quite good.

"Nature's Child" is more of the same, only worse. Terrible song. I'm back thinking of Mötly Crüe again, but this song is actually not even MC-level. Terrible, just terrible.....except again for a nice guitar-solo. There seem to be a pattern here. Hey, I know now, which band, that comes to mind: Y&T in the mid-80's, except Dave Meniketti or whathisname, was a better singer.

Woman In Love sounds like a Whitesnake-song, again with a (this time much) worse singer. Not the worst of the songs, perhaps one of the best so far, but that doesn't say much. Good guitar once again.

Take My Heart.....

Tear The Roof Off is more of the same. Weak singer, weak song, good guitar.

Finger Talkin' is not surprisingly good, since it's only the guitar, this time accustic. But even though he's good, he's trying too hard to be Eddie Van Halen, and he's not.

Could Hard Road be the best track on the album? The singer certainly tries to ruin that. Nah, it's more of the same. This time, they try to sound like Uriah Heep. Maybe it is one of the best songs?!

I doubt, I ever will hear this album again. And maybe I should forget about "The Sport Of Kings" as well.

Awesome! Great! Thanks for stopping in! So glad you liked it...

No, I like to post just INTERESTING albums in L/F that don't put people to SLEEP. 

The thing about Triumph is that they couldn't put out an album that was interesting from beginning to end. Well, except for maybe "Thunder Seven" which most, if not all, reviewers hate. Think a lot of fans hate it too, but what do they know?

It's just one of those safe bands, you know what you're getting with each album. Contractually obligated instrumental? Check. Raging rawker? Check. Songs that sound like another Triumph song that was also released as a single? Check. 

Now, I don't hate Triumph, but they are kinda bland. I do have Allied Forces, Thunder Seven, The Sport Of Kings and Surveillance and Edge Of Excess and did have Never Surrender on vinyl way back when. Also have Classics and Livin' For The Weekend: The Anthology which is OOP and now costs a boatload of $$$$. If you don't have it, I'll be happy to sell you my copy for about $200. You know, since you're such a Triumph fan.

This isn't bad, but they lost me with the second and third track and then six-nine were just kinda there. It ain't Thunder Seven, that's fer sure. Must also say that their best song is the title track to Allied Forces. That's a raging rawker if there ever was one.

Awesome! Great! Thanks for stopping in! So glad you liked it...

I wouldn't say I love Triumph, but I do like them.  But for me, Triumph begins and ends with Rik Emmett.  His voice is terrific to me.  That being said, for the most part, his stuff isn't as strong here as it is on the band's more popular hits. I do think the closer is the best track here.

I would say I tend to agree with all of you, but...  Triumph is definitely an acquired taste.  The only album they've ever put out that really grabbed my attention immediately is Just A Game, it will forever be their masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.  But, the remainder of the catalog took multiple listens for me to "hear it" - I think you all know what I mean by that.  But hear it I did...  so for me Progressions of Power is a really great album stuck in the middle of the two greatest albums they've recorded.  You could say it's the Peter Brady of Triumphs catalog (there a cool SHT playlist idea, albums stuck in the middle)...  But to Jon's point, even Thunder Seven is better than this one and that's not to say this is not good, its actually an album I go to frequently when Triumph comes to mind.

You are right that the closer© (protected playlist idea) may be the best track here, maybe not though since I Can Survive and Woman In Love could give it run at that title.

Back to my original point, if this is the first time through this album, I say come back periodically and try it a few more times, I'd bet your opinions change...

I didn't have any Triumph until someone dumped a bunch of titles at the used CD store, where I picked up:

Allied Forces

Just A Game

Never Surrender

Progressions of Power

The Sport of Kings

Surveillance 

...all at the same time.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today