Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 319 URIAH HEEP - DEMONS AND WIZARDS (1972)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

This week's Album of the Week comes from Uriah Heep.  This band has been around a long, long time and they are still rocking.  Demons and Wizards is the band's fourth album.  It is the band's highest charting album to date, topping out at number 23 in America.  It's also one of the band's three Gold certified albums so far (realistically, "so far"  is not necessary, as we all know that they'll never score another Gold album, which blows because they are still creating very good rock music).  

As far as singles go, the title track and Easy Livin' were released, with Easy Livin' becoming the band's only Top 40 U.S. hit.  

Gary Thain and Lee Kerslake signed on for this album.  According to Wikipedia, the original album cover, designed by Roger Dean, featured a hidden erotic image of male and female genitalia.  You can pick this up from Amazon for just under 9 bucks, and it's remastered.  I haven't listened to it in a while, so I'll spin it this week, just like you.

Side One:

1. The Wizard

2. Traveller In Time

3. Easy Livin'

4. Poet's Justice

5. Circle of Hands

Side Two:

6. Rainbow Demon

7. All My Life

8. Paradise

9. The Spell

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One of my earliest influences was this album!  The Wizard made its debut on here in SHT list #7.

Nice to see you back, sir, as the main man in AOTW.

As I've "said" many times before, the first UH-album I ever bought was Abominog in the spring of 1982. AWESOME album, and I therefore bought the next 2 albums as well. They weren't as good, especally not "Equator" or whatever it was called, but I will for allways remain a fan of the Pete Goalby-fronted UH. I saw the band live in 1988, where Metallica as well was in the audience of maybe 200 people. But by then, Goalby was gone, and I wasn't that interested anymore.

This album I've heard before a couple of times. It's not bad at all, especially THE Heep-song "Easy Livin'".

But I certainly prefer Abomingo any day of the week. 

They sound like a b-version of Deep Purple to me, even though they at times are heavier. I also think a lot of Spinal Tap listening to this album. 

Sometimes the backing-vocals sounds like The Sweet.

In this day and age, I really can't take music like this very seriously at all.....not that all music needs to be taken seriously, but still. It's not funny either. Only when made fun at, like Spinal Tap.

Best songs are easily The Wizard and Easy Livin'.

Never the less, an interesting choice as AOTW.

My brother owned this and The Wizard captivated me, still does! One of my favorite acoustic tracks of all time. I know this song inside and out, front to back, back to front, etc...

With albums like this I can easily feel the times and can transport myself into that setting. The memories are rich. The psychedelic feel of Traveler In Time is still cool as well.

Everything is a throw back and frankly I cant be unbiased here. Its an important album to me. So it gets high marks no matter what! My brother would tell you that "The Magicians Birthday" is a better album and he may be right, but not to me, its a close second with Abominog coming very close as well...

Fine post boss! And a fine return to form!

I have this on cassette and it's ok.

I like side one better than side two. The second side meanders and I lose interest very quickly. The first side keeps me interested though.

For some reason, I find 70's Uriah Heep to sound really old. Don't know what it is or how to explain it exactly, but it just sounds like a product of its time before its time. Yeah, that explains it.

From "Abominog" on, I really like Uriah Heep.

Interesting listen which brings back absolutely no memories, but it's really not something I feel I missed out on.

So glad we got that #1 album post back on track only to have it derailed yet again. Absolutely no respect!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos