Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 327 BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD - BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD AGAIN (1967)

\

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

I'll be quite honest with you guys, I'm pretty tired.  This has been a rough work week.  So I'm gonna be quite brief and feature Buffalo Springfield for the first time in the Album of the Week forum.  Buffalo Springfield Again is the band's second album and it has the ultra cool Neil Young song Mr. Soul on it.  I just can't say enough how cool that song is.  Bluebird by Stephen Stills is another very nice song, as is Expecting To Fly (Neil Young).  The album's magic number (highest chart position) was 44.  

The album is readily available if you don't already own it.  Amazon has it for 6.99.  That is a bargain.

1. Mr. Soul

2. A Child's Claim To Fame

3. Everydays

4. Expecting To Fly

5. Bluebird

6. Hung Upside Down

7. Sad Memory

8. Good Time Boy

9. Rock & Roll Woman

10. Broken Arrow

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another interesting album!

Mr. soul I've heard many times. I have it on more than one CD by Neal Young. His "Decade"-triple best of album form ´76, as far as I remember, is awesome. That is up until the middle of the second CD (double CD). I love Young's output from th 60's and up until the beginning of the 70's. Then there are some great songs, inbetween not so great songs. Definitely a song written by Young.

The next song is kind of a throwaway country-song. You can hear, Young wasn't much involved in writing that song.

Hmmm, the next is definitely a Stills-song. I'm not a fan of him. I like Young's raw rck-sound, even though he also was a master of accustic songs. This one is too weird. Not bad, but 60's hippie-nonsense.

Ahh, young again. At that time, young were in league with Beatles and Dylan as a songwriter. I can add Townshend and Davies to that list as well. Good melodi, and a classic song, and no hippie-BS, even though Young definitely was a hippie, and probably still is. I've heard better versions of this song, though. Another track I've got on several CDs. (I've got some young-live CD's and the best of, plus the box-set he released 5 years ago or so.)

Stills rocking on Bluebird, and it sounds good. A very good song! Nice guitar, both accustic(?) and electric (and banjo).

Hung Upside Down sounds too much like the 60's to me. A throwaway hippie-track.

Sad Memory......

Okay, and then we've got a James Brown-song? I like the deversity of the album. Not a bad song.

Still's songs most of the times sounds like CSN, so I guess he's very important in that band.

Broken Arrow is another one of those Young-songs I've heard many, many times, and love. He was a genius back then.

This is a very good album. I/you have to be in a 60's mode for at least some of the tracks, but overall it's a very good album. Next time I'll try and listen to the album, like it's the BAND Buffalo Springfield, and not Young, Stills a.o.

Keep up the good work, Jeff. Have a nice rest, though.

This is really good.

I have a few of these songs on other albums, but I always get Buffalo Springfield confused with Dusty Springfield and never picked up a proper album. This has a nice mix of........RAGING ROCKERS and quieter moments, kinda like Neil Young albums. Even though some of these rally push into country territory, it really doesn't bug me since I know someone is gonna rage, and soon.   

Purchase? Hmmmm.....

who?   I know its not me, I dont rage as my temperament is calm, cool, and collected.....

I'll prove it with this selfie I took just now...

I was reading "To Kill A Mockingbird" ...

How can one go wrong with a band that produced so many superstars? And don’t forget Poco came together from this band after Rusty Young and Ritchie Furay played together on their last album. Poco is one of my all-time favorites (no they are not Americana or Country) …

Mr Soul, Bluebird and Rock and Roll Woman are very familiar and they still sound great still! Though my favorite is Rock and Roll Woman, the acoustic work on Bluebird stood out with this fresh listen, what a great tune! There is much here that is dated though still interesting. The distortion on the electric guitars is definitely 1967, so glad technology quickly improved that!

Broken Arrow is another stunner, hadn’t heard this one before and I dig it (see I can transport myself to the times). So really the album begins and ends with Young solo work, the latter more so than the opener. Kind of a weird prog vibe that I like as well, folk-prog? A short lived genre indeed!

Not sure it’s a purchase for me but I did like this… Nice work boss!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos