Classic Rock Bottom

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

Are you familiar with Savoy Brown?  If not, you've come to the right place.  This week's Album of the Week is Looking In by Savoy Brown.  Savoy Brown is an English blues rock band.  Their heyday was in the late 60's and early 70's.  The band was founded by guitarist Kim Simmonds and has been through numerous personnel changes over the years.  Seriously, you should see just how many people can say they've been in Savoy Brown.

That being the case, this album features several eventual members of Foghat.  Lonesome Dave Peverett (vocals, guitar), Roger Earl (drums) and Tone Stevens (bass) were all in the band for this album.  Personally, as I was listening to it, I knew I had heard that voice before, I just couldn't place where.  Anyway, the album topped out at number 39 on the US chart and it is available on Amazon for a cool $4.99. 

Lastly, let me say that if you are a fan of fine, long guitar solos and noodling, you should enjoy this album.  There is a lot of playing here.

Side One:

1. Gypsy

2. Poor Girl

3. Money Can't Save Your Soul

4. Sunday Night

5. Looking In

Side Two:

6. Take It Easy

7. Sitting an' Thinking

8. Leavin' Again

9. Romanoff

Views: 89

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Awesome album-cover. Looks like some of the comics, I was reading in the 70's.

I don't think I've heard this band play before. I've come accross the name of the band a couple of times.

It sure sounds like stoner-rock. Some bands even in 2016, sounds like this. The Sword for example. I guess Hendrix is the Godfather of Stoner-rock?! But I'm only at track 2, writing this.

I don't think that I'm exactly a fan of this style of rock, but it's not bad. I like the sound, as usual, of the early 70's. It was a better world back then, and the music was much better as well.

I'm not really a fan of very long solo's as well. Well, it depends who plays them off course.

I feel like putting on a sweater, let my hair and beard grow long, while smoking some funny tobacco.

"Sunday Night" is a bit of a "waste of time" for me. I'm not that a big fan of instrumentals, and they damn well better be good, and this one is just.....a waste of my time.

Otherwise it's not bad at all, but again, I have to be in a special mood to voluntary listen to this at home (I'm at work), but as usual, I'm liking the rockier tracks the most, or at least the "fast" tracks. For quite a while, I'm getting a bit bored by "slow" tracks like "Take It Easy", for example.

Nice bass on "Sitting an' Thinking".....oh, another instrumental, huh?!

I get a Jethro Tull/Led Zeppelin-feeling listening to "Leavin' Again". I think it's the sound of the bass and guitar (JT) and the singing (LZ). Not a bad track. A bit too long, though.

Gypsy/Romanoff sounds like a start to a Genesis-track from when Hackett was on guitar.

But I'm still impressed by the albums we're introduced to in AOTW lately. I mean, I'm really listening to some interesting albums, I never would had listened too, else. Very good job indeed, Jeff.

Thanks my Danish brother.  Trying to introduce some stuff that we don't mention too often, so I'm glad you are enjoying.  I plan on keeping it up for a while.

Too bad Scott didn't listen to this before his bongo post. There's bongoing here.

The album cover really doesn't fit with the music. The cover of the followup album does. This one you kinda expect evil music, something without bongos. But, like Demon, it's just not the case.

I haven't listened to this for a few years, but it's still pretty alright. Pretty mellow, but not really mellow. Nice bluesy rock. 

This album, Street Corner Talking and Hellbound Train are three Savoy Brown albums to own, they're all pretty darn good. BGO released a bunch of SB albums, all remastered so if anyone is interested in exploring their back catalog, that's the way to go.    

I've heard the song Hellbound Train, but not the album.  The song is very cool.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos