Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 334 ROBERT PALMER - SNEAKIN' SALLY THROUGH THE ALLEY (1974)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

This week we'll step back to 1974 and enjoy Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley, the debut album from Robert Palmer. Robert Palmer was an English singer songwriter as well as a record producer.  He was known for mixing various styles and influences like jazz, soul, pop, reggae and blues.  Of course, he was best known for his 80's work including the huge album Riptide and the debut album by The Power Station, both released in 1985.

But this was way before that.  This was his debut solo album following some work with the band Vinegar Joe.  The backing musicians for this album were The Meters and Lowell George from Little Feat.  If you recall, I posted an album by Little Feat a few weeks ago, and the title track from that album, Sailing Shoes, is covered here and it opens the album.  You may not want my opinion, but I think it's a killer cover.  

The album wasn't a huge seller by any means, landing at number 107 on the Billboard 100 chart.   You can pick up this album from Amazon for under eight dollars or you can splurge, like I did, and pick up a 5 Classic Albums issue for about 22 dollars, which includes this album as well as Pressure Drop, Secrets, Clues and Riptide.

Tracks:

1. Sailing Shoes

2. Hey Julia

3. Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley

4. Get Outside

5. Blackmail

6. How Much Fun

7. From A Whisper To A Scream

8. Through It All There's You

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First heard Palmer when Bad Case of Loving You hit the American Top40.  Think I had the 45 even.  But then nothing until the Power Station and at that time I was not interested ...  Kinda always wanted to hear his pre BCOLY stuff, so this post interests me!

This is really good. It's definitely not like is 80's stuff, but it still rocks. Yeah, it's a bit "soulful" but more rock to me.

Hmmm....I believe this is issued thru Culture Factory as well, it might be one of those that has a small amount left for sale. Gonna have to check on this because this would be really cool remastered. 

And it IS available from CF. Comes with 4 bonus tracks as well.

Double hmm.....

You know who says "Hmmmm" a lot?  Mormons say "Hmmmm" a lot.  Are you sure you haven't converted?

Hmmmmm...let me check my book.

So I've cycled through this a couple times today doing some chores around the house.  First time through, I don't recall a moment that I didn't care for, in fact most of this is very interesting. But I think its one of those albums that may need to grow on the listener.  I liked everything the first time through, its a good leading indicator.  But the second time through sparked some interest, specifically that 12:20 closer...

Not sure I hear the "rock" Jon refers to do, but I definitely hear the "soulfulness".  The keyboard work is really very good. Maybe Jon can come back and tell me how much better the Culture Factory update is, their releases are tremendous and could lift this over the top.

As much blues as I've been listening to lately I've also balanced that out with some soul/funk.  Its no secret that one of all-time favorite bands is Earth Wind and Fire, they get a lot (A LOT!) of attention in my world.  But I've also been reconnecting with Stanley Clarkes works as his collaborations with George Duke - also tremendous!  I've even been checking into some Stevie Wonder, but all that aside, its causing me to listen to this just a bit more.

Wish listing this pending Jon's response to the CF question...

Tremendous post!!

Ordered the Spectrum RP set, supposedly all the albums are remastered, will find out.

But, every CF album I have is tremendous so I can't see why any of the RP ones wouldn't be.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos