Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 338 LED ZEPPELIN - LED ZEPPELIN II (1969)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

Back to work!  After a couple of extremely warranted weeks off, I have your first Album of the Week for 2017 ready to go.  We're going big this week!  The band that some call the greatest rock band ever.  That's open to opinion, but II is definitely a great album.  I could tell you a million things about this album, but since you've more than likely heard it countless times, I'll just throw out a few nuggets:

• II was released on October 22, 1969 and reached the number 1 slot in the US, Spain, The Netherlands, Germany, Canada, Australia and The UK.
  • It has been certified Diamond in the US with sales in excess of 12 million copies.
  • Whole Lotta Love hit number 2 on the Cashbox singles chart.  On a personal note, Whole Lotta Love's riff is iconic. Speaking of iconic riffs, I'd add those for Heartbreaker and Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman) to that list as well.
  • The album has earned the nickname "Brown Bomber", due to it's color.
  • The 2014 reissue put the band back on the charts, as it rose to number 9 on Billboard.

Side One:

1. Whole Lotta Love

2. What Is And What Should Never Be

3. The Lemon Song

4. Thank You

Side Two:

5. Heartbreaker

6. Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)

7. Ramble On

8. Moby Dick

9. Bring It On Home

Views: 143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thought this album was featured before because I remember some conversation about track #6, a track so bad that I shall not mention it by name nor is it one that JP wanted to play in concert because he disliked it so much. Maybe it was a different conversation but I still really dislike that song. Yuck. I had it on vinyl, probably still have it on cassette but will most likely never pick up the CD even though I really like "Thank You" and "Bring It On Home". The rest of the songs are fine, maybe not #5 so much since it's always paired with that #6 and that's just no good. 

I did check and didn't see it.  It's possible that it was featured on some other site many years ago.

What a great album, still!  I cant use the player you posted because I have the 2014 remasters from Page and they sound great!

My personal favorite is Thank You but I could never win an argument over which track is the best because its all so good.  Even Tracks 5 and 6 as Jon affectionately calls them.  The bass work is outstanding throughout but maybe the Lemon Song contains the funnest JPJ work.

The final two tracks are likely the reason this isn't #1 in the LZ catalog for me.  I love them both don't get me wrong, but they can feel a little out of place.  Bring It On Home may have worked best on the debut album since that album feels more bluesy than II, but that's nit picking.  But hey, when you're catalog is as good as this, that's whats left to talk about!

Great start to the new year!

I bought this album in 1989. I was a bit late, in realising how great a band LZ is. At the time, I though the album sounded too old, compared to IV and especially PG, but it pretty soon became another favorite of mine, an still is my third-favorite by the band.

I can hear why WLL became so populare, but just like Kashmir is my least favorite on PG, WLL is not THE weakest track on this album, but only second to Moby Dick, which is a waste of time. Those two songs makes this album weaker than IV and PG, but track 2-7 makes this a VERY strong album, especially track 2 and 4.

Didn't this album push Abbey Road from the top spot? Being only 4 years old at the time, I don't remember myself.

Man, music was awesome back then!!!

each response has either hinted that this is not a #1 Led Zeppelin album or outright said it.  I think everyone on here would name a different album as their absolute #1 LZ album.  I love Houses of the Holy for sentimental reasons and because its just that good.  But I also had to rethink that because of the Page remasters, they're just that good!  III for example shot way up my list after the remasters...  I wonder if things changed at all for any one else because of this...

Not me.  I didn't buy any of the remasters.

They are spectacular... just sayin

So are Sidra's ti7%ies.

who?

Seinfeld. Get with the program.

Right.. I knew that, you passed the test!

Nope, My top 6 haven't changes a bit.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos