Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 353 DON HENLEY - BUILDING THE PERFECT BEAST (1984)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

1984, the year I graduated from high school.  Seems like a million years ago, but it also seems like 2 months ago. This week's Album of the Week comes from 1984.  It's Building The Perfect Beast by Don Henley.  Just a few years removed from the breakup of his previous band, The Eagles, Henley put together a pretty impressive release.  The album features Henley's collaboration with Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench and Stan Lynch of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers fame.  Lindsey Buckingham also played some guitar and performed some backing vocals on the album.  Charlie Sexton, Steve Porcaro, Belinda Carlisle, Patty Smyth and J.D. Souther are other famous names that were credited on the record.

The Beast is anchored by the lead track The Boys of Summer.  Did you know that Henley borrowed the drum sound from Pat Benatar's Love Is A Battlefield?  Next time you hear that song, listen to the drums.  That song reached number 5 on the Billboard Hot 100 and the video won numerous awards, including MTv's Video of the Year for 1985.  All She Wants To Do Is Dance hit pretty big as well, topping out at number 9 on the same Billboard chart.  Another Top 40 hit from the album is Sunset Grill.  Personally, I'm a fan of both You're Not Drinking Enough and A Month Of Sundays, the latter of which appeared on cassette and CD versions of the album, but not the vinyl version.  

The album itself rose to number 5 in the USA, while it was certified at Triple Platinum by the RIAA.  That's certainly not shabby work.  It's quite cheap on Amazon these days.  A small sum of $4.99 would purchase this copy for you, if you don't already own it, of course.  

Tracks:

1. The Boys of Summer

2. You Can't Make Love

3. Man With A Mission

4. You're Not Drinking Enough

5. Not Enough Love in the  World

6. Building The Perfect Beast

7. All She Wants To Do Is Dance

8. A Month Of Sundays

9. Sunset Grill

10. Driving With You're Eyes Closed

11. Land of the Living

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great choice.

I love this album AND I think A Month of Sundays is such an amazing song. But the whole album from start to finish is really outstanding.

Shame he didn't borrow the dance from LIAB. That would have been awesome. 

I had this when it came out on vinyl, listened to it quite a bit, then lost the vinyl and picked up the CD (yep, for cheap) years later and it's still fun to listen to but it's not something I really get lost in, know what I mean? It's one of those albums you put on when you're working on something around the house or have in rotation when you have friends over for a BBQ. Well, I guess you would but since I have no friends I really wouldn't know.

Would think I'm tired of some of these songs or the album since it's been played or heard many times, but it really isn't. It's a fine album but it's great as background music. I think I repeated myself, but that's ok. I'm lonely. 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos