Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 356 AEROSMITH - PERMANENT VACATION (1987)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

In 1987, Aerosmith released their 9th studio album, Permanent Vacation.  The album was pretty successful, selling over 5 million copies in the U.S. and becoming the band's biggest selling album since Toys In The Attic. It was almost a Top 10 album for the band, but it stalled at number 11.  Three fairly successful singles were released as well, Dude (Looks Like A Lady) (#14), Angel (#3) and Rag Doll (#17).  

I'm pretty sure I had this on cassette back in the late 80's, but I no longer have that.  I have since purchased it on CD.  Of course, I can't hear Dude (Looks Like A Lady) today without thinking of this:

Actually, it's a song that is quite annoying, unless I'm watching Mrs. Doubtfire.  The video for Rag Doll is pretty good too.  As far as songs go, my favorite on the album  is Magic Touch.  I also like Heart's Done Time.  Of course, Permanent Vacation was followed by the band's greatest album, Pump.  So this was a nice primer for that album.  

Permanent Vacation can be had for 5 bucks on Amazon, if you are so inclined.

Tracks:

1. Heart's Done Time

2. Magic Touch

3. Rag Doll

4. Simoriah

5. Dude (Looks Like A Lady)

6. St. John

7. Hangman Jury

8. Girl Keeps Coming Apart

9. Angel 

10. Permanent Vacation

11. I'm Down

12. The Movie

Views: 97

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, boy.

WHY?????????????????????????

Lets clear up one thing, Pump is nowhere near the bands best album.  That honor goes to Rocks and then Toys, and then Get Your Wings, some may even add in the criminally underrated Draw The Line.  Clearly their first era slays the comeback albums...  And since were talking about their second era, we'll need one additional clarification...  Done With Mirrors should really have been their comeback album, its better than this one as well.  But don't take my word for it, look up the science behind it, its all true...  trust me...

Oh yeah, one more last thing...  Dude Looks Like A Lady should have never been recorded, its terrible, its a gimmick-song and Ive never cared for it...  That said, if you remove that song from the album suddenly feels more like the Aerosmith I know and love!

Its a great album no doubt, but it hype doesn't live up to the commercial pandering it really strived for and received...  Ive always felt the band never recovered from their pop-era and though I had hoped it would with Music From Another Dimension, they just continued to strive for pop success instead of being themselves...

DWM blows this one away. This is a pandering money grab and it disgusts me that I have to waste my extremely valuable time listening to this crap. Well, at least it's not a Springsteen album, but I'll still have to cleanse my listening soul with rat poison and lye when it's over.

You know, if memory serves me correctly, you posted DWM on July 30th, 2010 at 7:12pm as LFAOTW #6.  And my comments were very consistent with these...  Except I think Ive warmed up to PV (with the caveat being no DLLAL) just a bit.  And I can throw Angel into the fire as well, terrible...

And the MSOTW was.......Lowdown and dirty!!!!!

I knew that too...  but Ive always liked the Unusual Heat album...

Could swear that album was featured  but do not see it.

same here and we all know how my memory works...  maybe it was done on the site that shall remain unnamed

I couldn't agree more!

So I did my due diligence, listened to this yesterday evening, became ill and went to sleep.

I feel better now, for those that care.

A few years ago when my local Wally World had the $5 bin, this was in the pile. I actually had it in my hand and was going to give it another chance but then I read the song titles and a wave of nausea came over me and I gently placed it back in the bin. I didn't throw it like other people would, but treated it like a CD I owned. Anyway, sure the price was right, but I couldn't justify a cheap purchase since a majority of the songs on this album plain suck. And they still do.

The only song I like is the opening track which I could have sworn was not the opening track on the vinyl. I know there was one song I liked back when I had the vinyl, but thought it was on side two. Oh well, memory fades on some thing, on others (like album suckage) does not. 

And there you have it. Maybe this is the last time I'll ever listen to this album again. That's such a treat!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos