Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 374 REO SPEEDWAGON - YOU CAN TUNE A PIANO, BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FISH (1978)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

Holy moly, it's amazing that this week's album was REO's seventh studio offering.  That's a lot of output to proceed a band's first Top 40 album, but history is history.  You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish climbed up to the 29th spot on the US chart while being certified Double Platinum by the RIAA.  It was REO's first multi-platinum album. 

The album produced two charting singles.  While topping out at number 56 and 58, respectively, Time For Me To Fly and Roll With The Changes didn't exactly blow up the charts.  However, they are two of REO's most recognized and loved songs and they are still played on classic rock radio today.

A couple of notes about the album.  It was the first one to feature Bruce Hall on bass.  The album cover was named one of the worst album covers of all time by Pitchfork Media in 2005 and in 2014 the album title was on NME's  list of The 50 Worst Album Titles in History.

Side One:

1. Roll With The Changes

2. Time For Me To Fly

3. Runnin' Blind

4. Blazin' Your Own Trail Again

5. Sing To Me

Side Two: 

6. Lucky For You

7. Do You Know Where Your Woman Is Tonight?

8. The Unidentified Flying Tuna Trot

9. Say You Love Me Or Say Goodnight

Views: 288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

pin·na·cle
[ˈpinək(ə)l]
NOUN
pinnacles (plural noun)
  1. a high, pointed piece of rock.
-----------------------------------------
Given this definition I'd say Nine Lives is the pinnacle.  Musically speaking of course.  I'd rank the REO Top 5 as follows...
  1. Nine Lives
  2. REO
  3. Hi Infidelity
  4. YCTAPBYCTF
  5. TWO

pin•na•cle

(ˈpɪn ə kəl) 

n., v. -cled, -cling. n.

1. lofty peak.
2. the highest or culminating point, as of success, power, fame, etc.
3. any pointed, towering part or formation, as of rock.
4. relatively small upright structure, commonly terminating in a pyramid or cone, rising above a roof or coping orcapping a tower or buttress.

REOs Top 5 using definition #2 ....

1. Hi Infidelity
  2. Wheels Are Turnin
  3. Good Trouble
  4. Life As We Know It
  5. You Can Tune a Piano, but You Can't Tuna Fish

#1 drives everything underneath it except #5.  Musically 2 thru 4 are just OK with great moments.  Nine Lives is a heavy rock jam from start to finish, I think their songwriting was never better.

You've set a high bar now Boss!!!  You've got to find another polarizing album for next week!

Using #2, that means that Foreigner's pinnacle is Double Vision.

Yes is 90125.

Metallica is Metallica (aka The Black Album)

Megadeth is Countdown to Extinction

UFO is No Place To Run

Dire Straits is Brothers In Arms

Heart is Heart

and there's lots more.

Not pinnacles.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members