Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 376 THE STILLS-YOUNG BAND - LONG MAY YOU RUN (1976)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

Apparently, Long May You Run started out as a CSNY album.  But CN had to leave suddenly, which made SY mad, so SY removed all of CN's vocals as well as other contributions to what had been recorded to that point. SN swore off ever working with CN again, but, you guessed it, CSN put out another album the very next year. What's really funny is that before the tour for the album was finished, N wrote S a note that said, "Dear Stephen, funny how some things that start spontaneously end that way. Eat a peach. Neil".  That N, he's a strange dude.  

The album is certified Gold by the RIAA, while it scored a Top 40 ranking (#26).  

The title track is about Y's first car, named Mort.  

Who knows, maybe we'll cover something by CN too.  Or CSN, or C, or N, or Y, or CSNY, or S.

Or, I do have an idea for a series, one which might include a quiz.  We'll see...

Side One:

1. Long May You Run (Young)

2. Make Love To You (Stills)

3. Midnight On The Bay (Young)

4. Black Coral (Stills)

5. Ocean Girl (Young)

Side Two:

6. Let It Shine (Young)

7. 12/8 Blues (All The Same) (Stills)

8. Fontainebleau (Young)

9. Guardian Angel (Stills)

**Songwriter's name in parenthesis**

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Uhh...yeah. Listened to this during the week of 9/9 and it was duly noted so I would not have to listen to the same album twice in a year. Why are you ruining my goal?

Yay, another series.

Yay.

This a fine album and it does rock out quite a bit. It's also mellow, but that's ok. Almost like a Neil Young (yeah, I ain't using the letters since it's silly) album, but with someone else. Kind of jazzy in parts as well. 

Hopefully you don't go on ruining my album listening experience for next year like you did this year. I take the time to list 'em and, dammit, I expect you to check out the lists!

Jon OUT!

I like this as well, I am an owner of it after all...  I am late to party owner though, so history of this one is news to me.  Whatever combination of ABC's recorded it, I pretty much don't care.  Track 2 (I cant bring myself to typing its actual title because this is a bunch of dudes reading this) is a great song - probably the best one here.  

I like the Stills songwriting, love his work with Kenny Wayne Shepherd and the band The Rides, those are two cool albums as well...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos