Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 377 CROSBY & NASH - WIND ON THE WATER (1975)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

This week I'm following up the Stills-Young band album with a Crosby & Nash album.  Wind On The Water was the duo's second studio collaboration.  The album scored C & N with a Top 10 album, topping out at number 6.  It was certified Gold by the RIAA.  Three singles were released, Carry Me, Take The Money And Run and Love Work Out. Only Carry Me charted, but it didn't make the Top 40, stalling out at number 52.

A couple of tidbits regarding the album, the song Carry Me referenced Crosby's mother while Cowboy of Dreams was about Y.  Naked In The Rain and To The Last Whale were both co-written by the two artists, while all the other songs were written individually.

Well, I don't know why C and N paired together and S and N paired together, but both pairings seemed to work pretty good.  So my question to you, after you listen to this, is which of the two do you think did it best?  There is no right or wrong answer, just your opinion.

Side One:

1. Carry Me (Crosby)

2. Mama Lion Nash)

3. Bittersweet (Crosby)

4. Take The Money And Run (Nash)

5. Naked In The Rain (Crosby/Nash)

6. Love Work Out (Nash)

Side Two:

7. Low Down Payment (Crosby)

8. Cowboy of Dreams (Nash)

9. Homeward Through The Haze (Crosby)

10. Fieldworker (Nash)

11. To The Last Whale... 

a. Critical Mass (Crosby)

b. Wind On The Water (Nash)

***Songwriters in parenthesis***

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

While this isn't bad, for some reason it doesn't hold my interest much, at least compared to last week's selection. It has LITERALLY been playing for almost three hours and nothing has really grabbed me. It's not something I want to rush out and get, just because of that. There's one song that Nash seems to be struggling on with his singin', something seems a bit off. Ah, well. I'll let it keep playing.

Put me in the "eh" camp.  Its no secret who possesses the songwriting skills in the CSNY equation...  SY are superior songwriters, easily actually.  The more talented vocalists are clearly CN as evidenced here.  But that doesn't carry the album as well as a good song does, in fact it doesn't at all.  

Jon is right (hate it when that happens) as this is a very decent listen but it fades into the background early and often.  SY grabs at you and doesn't let go...  CN needs S and sometimes Y to create something magical...

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos