Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 378 MIKE BLOOMFIELD/AL KOOPER/STEPHEN STILLS - SUPER SESSION (1968)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

Super Session is your CRB Album of the Week this week.  It is a collaboration between Al Kooper, who conceived the album, Mike Bloomfield, who appears with Kooper on side one, and Stephen Stills, who appears with Kooper on side two (Bloomfield and Stills did not play together on the album).  The album notched a number 12 Billboard 200 showing and gained a RIAA certified Gold Album as well.  

The album has a great back story.  Bloomfield was leaving his band (Electric Flag) and Kooper had already left Blood, Sweat and Tears.  Kooper called Bloomfield and discussed jamming together.  Kooper then booked the studio time and the session players and the two got together for the first of two days of recording.  That pretty much became side one.  However, Bloomfield never showed for day two, so Kooper called Stills.  That's why each side features one of the two artists.  The album itself only cost about $13,000 to make, so it was certainly profitable.

You can pick up a nice remastered version with four bonus tracks for a mere $6.99 on Amazon.

Side One:

1. Albert's Shuffle

2. Stop

3. Man's Temptation

4. His Holy Modal Majesty

5. Really

Side Two:

6. It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry

7. Season of the Witch

8. You Don't Love Me

9. Harvey's Tune

Views: 212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great album- Music history 101!

This is really good. It's actually been playing for around four hours here while I'm doing some research. Definitely ain't background music and there's not a bad track to be found. Rocky and jazzy, what more could you ask for? Nice version of song #7 as well. 

Stop here unless you can handle some serious foul language!!!

Blues!  Are you fetchin' kidding my back side right now?  How friggin' sweet is this crap?  No one ever told me about this album, not one frickin' single dimwitted jack-butt ever turned me onto this, until now.  Sheesh!  Better late than never right?  The vocals do need to be better, not to sound too harsh, but heck, with this kind of musicianship you'd think the vocals could better, but then I remind myself, self?  Shut the front door and relax, its a super session for heck sakes!  I flippin' liked side one enough but I don't think I'd go back and listen to it straight through, but Id pick at tracks for sure.

Side two and the vocal game is stepped way the flip up!  As expected right?  I mean shhhhhhhoooot!  Its a young Stephen "fetchin'" Stills!  Holy moly!  Season of the Witch is cool to...  Phaser effect!  Oh HECK YEAH!  Love the closer as well, too goll-darn slick words!

Thanks Boss!  oh...  sorry for all the offensive language, I'll clean it up from here on out.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Watch the language, sunshine. Anymore of that and you'll receive a slap and a suspension. 

Image result for cussing gif

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos