Classic Rock Bottom

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

It's almost Halloween.  And what would Halloween be without candy?  And what would candy be if you couldn't taste it?  Well, I don't know all the answers, but I have a CD by the band Taste for your enjoyment this week.  It's the band's self-titled debut from 1969.

If you are unfamiliar with the band, Taste is an Irish rock and blues trio.  The band was founded by Rory Gallagher.  The band also featured Richard McCracken on bass and John Wilson on drums.  Gallagher was responsible for vocals, guitar, saxophone and harmonica.  

That's pretty much it.  I've often heard the name Rory Gallagher, but I had never heard any of his work.  I was in the used CD store last weekend and low and behold this CD was on the new arrivals rack.  It was only a couple of bucks so I picked it up.  I'm glad I did because I think it's pretty good.  I might even pick up some more of Gallagher's work.

Tracks:

1. Blister On The Moon

2. Leavin' Blues

3. Sugar Mama

4. Hail

5. Born On The Wrong Side of Time

6. Dual Carriageway Pain

7. Same Old Story

8. Catfish

9. I'm Moving On

Views: 265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is pretty cool stuff. I have some RG, but no Taste. A bit heavier than I expected, but heavy is good. Of course it's not totally heavy, but heavy enough. The last song kinda reminds me of Ten Years After. Think I might eventually pick this up.

I was really pleased with it.

Here’s how much I know about Rory Gallagher … … ok well then

Well, there’s no denying that guitar work! Good stuff and bluesy too, all good. What’s to complain about? Vocals are sub-par, but great musicians and songwriters can overcome that easily. While the guitars a consistently stellar the songwriting is not, but it never gets bad, in fact it stays quite good from beginning to end. There’s simply some predictability built into the listening experience. It does make me want to hear more of Gallagher’s works!

Nice post boss!!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos