Classic Rock Bottom

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

This week's Album of the Week is the self-titled second release (also known as the Brown Album) by The Band.  In case you weren't aware, The Band were a Canadian/American band that featured Rick Danko on bass guitar and vocals, Richard Manuel on keyboards and vocals, Robbie Robertson on guitar, Garth Hudson on keys and Levon Helm on drums and vocals. 

The album is widely known as a classic in most circles.  It scored The Band a Top 10 hit two different times, topping out at number 9 on the Pop Albums chart in 1970 and then again at number 10 on the Internet Albums chart in 2000.  It featured the Top 40 hit Up On Cripple Creek (number 25) as well as the Band's original version of the Robbie Robertson penned The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.  By the way, Joan Baez covered the song in 1971 and her version soared to number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. 

Eleven dollars and 65 cents is all this bad boy will cost you on Amazon, if, of course, you don't already own it.

Side One:

1. Across The Great Divide

2. Rag Mama Rag

3. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

4. When You Awake

5. Up On Cripple Creek

6. Whispering Pines

Side Two:

7. Jemima Surrender

8. Rockin' Chair

9. Look Out Cleveland

10. Jawbone

11. The Unfaithful Servant

12. King Harvest (Has Surely Come)

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This will be a first for me, I cant say this band has ever interested me...  Maybe this changes that?

Not a big fan of The Band, maybe a few songs here and there. Have a greatest hits disc and I like maybe 1/4 of the tracks on that. But this really isn't too bad, it's mostly good but there's a few tracks that go into BRMM. Not enough interest to warrant a purchase, I'll just stick to my 1/4 greatest hits disc.

When my oldest son was very young he spent the day with his Great Grandparents.  When we picked him up they said he was a picky eater and told Grandpa that he would eat whatever he made but that he probably wont like it.  hahaha...  That's kind of the way I see this band - I'll try it but my inkling is to not like it.  I suppose its the Dixie track that makes me feel this way because its just an OK song ... Just is.

Vocally its a struggle, especially when they try to harmonize.  Most songs sound like they were written in the same  Ragtime-Rock style.  My sister who's into Mountain Man times and culture would like this though she thinks Chicken Train from the Ozark Mountain Daredevils is a classic!

That's a long way to say this isn't for me as I suspected ... I ate what was cooked up but I didn't like it!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos