Classic Rock Bottom

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

I turned 17 in 1983.  Radio was a huge part of life for me back then.  I certainly remember hearing this week's band on the radio.  Reach The Beach was the second studio album for the British new wave band The Fixx.  Can you remember the two big hits from the album?

If not, you've come to the right place.  Reach The Beach was the highest charting album for The Fixx, reaching number 8 in the U.S.  It is certified Platinum by the RIAA.  Those two big songs I mentioned earlier are One Thing Leads To Another and Saved By Zero.  They landed at number 4 and number 20, respectively.  You know you've heard 'em.  

Now I'll be completely honest with you, while I liked both songs, I never even thought about buying the album.  But I saw it in the used CD store a while back and picked it up.  And I have to say, it's really quite good.  I really dig the title track, but the album on the whole is terrific.  What about you?  Is this one you had in your collection back in the day?  Or maybe you still own it.  C'mon, I need the answers.

Tracks:

1. One Thing Leads To Another

2. The Sign of Fire

3. Running

4. Saved By Zero

5. Opinions

6. Reach The Beach

7. Changing

8. Liner

9. Privilege

10. Outside

Views: 70

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see the theme. "Albums Jon listened to within the last couple months". What do I win?

I used to hate The Fixx, way back when they were popular and had videos on MTV every 30 minutes or so. Then I had a fix for The Fixx for some reason and bought The Ultimate Collection and decided that I rather liked them. It's a shame that this is the only early Fixx album you can get for a good price, their debut and the one that came after this are selling for high $$. Maybe they'll eventually get re-released so for now I'[m happy with this and The Ultimate Collection which I highly recommend so you can get one of their best songs, "Red Skies".

Red Skies is still their very best (agreeing with Jon!) its still way cool.  That track sent me straight to my record store when this came album came out.  Not sure what hit single was bigger, but Saved By Zero hit the radio with a bullet.  Its a slice of unique New Wave of the time.  It still sounds good to me, I love the uniqueness I still hear in the vocals and especially the guitar work - cool stuff!  Time has been kind as well, though I hear it more as pop with melodic goodness mixed in now. 

Still The Fixx was never better than Red Skies though they came close with Secret Separation, another great one IMO.  This is the middle of that great song sandwich!  Still tastes good...  Cool post boss!

One Thing was bigger.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos