Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 391 QUARTERFLASH - QUARTERFLASH (1981)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

This week we take a listen to the self-titled debut album from the American band Quarterflash.  Quarterflash  formed in Portland, Oregon in 1980 and eventually released three albums total before disbanding.  The band has released a few more albums under various membership since 1990.  

The debut hit number 8 on the Billboard chart and sold over a million copies, which you fine folks know garner's an album a Platinum certification by the RIAA.  The album contained the band's biggest hit, Harden My Heart, which reached number 3 on the US Hot 100.  Two other singles were also released with Find Another Fool topping out at number 16 and Right Kind Of Love reaching the number 56 spot. 

I will say that I had totally forgotten about Find Another Fool until I listened to this the other day.  I really couldn't think of any hits by the band other than Harden My Heart.  

Fun Note: The song Harden My Heart was actually a re-record.  A different version of the song was recorded and released as a single by a previous version of the band named Seafood Mama.

Tracks:

1. Harden My Heart

2. Find Another Fool

3. Critical Times

4. Valerie

5. Try To Make It True

6. Right Kind of Love

7. Cruisin' With The Deuce

8. Love Should Be So Kind

9. Williams Avenue

Views: 202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really like this album, also like the followup but not as much as this. Neither did a lot of other folks since they had one more album after the second one and then were done as Quarterflash if my thinkin' thoughts are correct. She's still around in the upper Northwest doing stuff, might still be married to the same guy. You know, it kind of feels like I'm making all of this stuff up because I'm not going to bother to check to see how accurate I might possibly be because that makes it more fun. 

Hey, they did have that song in that classic movie about the hookers working in the mortuary!

I own this on vinyl, never bought it on CD though.  While I still love to hear Harden My Heart, the remainder of the album really doesn't do much for me.

Since I lived in the NorthWest at the time this came out and have family in the Portland area I thought it was very cool that they emerged from that market, so I tried very hard to like this, but it just didn't stick.  And so the album sits, in a box, in storage, unseen for at least the past 20 years...  And, yes, they still do play there. 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos