Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 409 EURYTHMICS - SWEET DREAMS (ARE MADE OF THIS) (1983)

Disclaimer: All info that does not reside in my brain is gathered from wikipedia.com (mostly because Jon can't stand it) unless otherwise noted.

This week's Album of the Week comes from 1983.  Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) is the second studio for the British new wave duo Eurythmics.  Of course, as you most likely know, the duo consists of Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart.  

The album reached the number 15 spot on the Billboard 200 chart, helping the album to become certified Gold by the RIAA.  It reached number 3 in the UK.  Several singles were released, but the big one was the well known title track.  It reached number 1 in the United States and Canada while climbing to number 2 in the UK.  Love Is A Stranger was the other Top 40 hit, though it happened in an unconventional way.  It was originally released in 1982 and tanked.  But it was re-released in 1983 and made it all the way to number 23 in the US.  

The album is still available new through Amazon for the nice price of $5.89.  This includes six bonus tracks. 

Tracks:

1. Love Is A Stranger

2. I've Got An Angel

3. Wrap It Up

4. I Could Give You (A Mirror)

5. The Walk

6. Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)

7. Jennifer

8. This Is The House

9. Somebody Told Me

10. This City Never Sleeps

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like Eurythmics. I even like this album even though there's a basic lack of geetar. It's just so.....dreamily pleasant. A couple albums later is when they started to rock with lots o' geetar but you wouldn't know it from this. Thought the band was a little bit freaky when the video for this album hit, thought the song was weird but it's the old getting older and digging this stuff which is what it is. Got four or five Eurythmic albums and they're pretty much all gold.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos