Classic Rock Bottom

Artist: Megadeth

Album: Rust In Peace

Producer: Dave Mustaine/Mike Clink

Band Members: Dave Mustaine/Marty Friedman/Dave Ellefson/Nick Menza

Singles: Hangar 18/Holy Wars...The Punishment Due

Best Single/Best Hidden Gem: N/A (This week)

Best Of The Rest: N/A (This week)

RIAA Certification: Platinum

Album Cover: 9/10

I'm taking a slightly different approach this week.  I'm posting an album that I just bought and have never listened to before.  The only song on the album I've actually heard is Hangar 18.  As you can tell, I've never been a big Megadeth fan, although I've always liked Countdown To Extinction and I'm starting to purchase some back catolog.  I'll actually listen to it after I post it and check back in with my opinion on the material later in the week.  And I think I may do this from time to time, so don't expect this to be the last time I post an album that I know absolutely nothing about.

The following information was pulled from Wikipedia:

Rust in Peace was released on 24 September 1990, and it debuted on the Billboard 200 at number 23, Megadeth's highest charting album up to that point.  It was eventually certified platinum by the RIAA in 1994. The album was nominated for Best Metal Performance at the 33rd Grammy Awards, and "Hangar 18" was nominated for the same award at the 34th Grammy Awards.  These were Megadeth's first two nominations, and was the only time when a Megadeth album would receive two nominations.

So there you have it.  If you like it, stop in Best Buy and look for it.  I just got the remastered disc with bonus tracks for $6.99.

Did You Know: (This cracks me up) Rust In Peace is the first Megadeth collaboration with producer Mike Clink,  and he is the first producer to successfully produce an entire Megadeth album from start to finish without being fired.

1. Holy Wars...The Punishment Due

2. Hangar 18

3. Take No Prisoners

4. Five Magics

5. Poison Was The Cure

6. Lucretia

7. Tornado Of Souls

8. Dawn Patrol

9. Rust In Peace...Polaris

Views: 725

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Awesome album, probably my favorite Megadeth album. Surprised you didn't see the Holy Wars... video on MTV, they played it quite a bit.  If I was to pick a favorite song it would be Lucretia with tasty geetar solo, but absolutely love this whole...damn.....album.
There is a LIVE version of this on CD and DVD from a few years back. Youthanasia is another really good Megadeth CD.

I knew the first two songs and some other tracks had a familiarity to them, but I dont own this album.  Five Magics specifcally is typically not my style, but I liked it anyway!   Poison Was The Cure was blah...  And Im gonna agree with Jon, Lucretia was very cool, and the geetars were far and above the best on the album.

Loved that little Dawn Patrol interlude thingy-ma-jig.  In fact, I really loved the bass work throughout this album, it was probably the most consistent work done.

Nice find!  And nice post...

Hmmm, I gotta say, that I don't like Megadeth!! I've only got one album "Peace sells, but who's buying" I think it's called, but I think it's CRAP!!! I don't know, if I'll get the time for listening to this one, though. I wonder, if I miss much!!! I think of Dave Mustaine as a sad person. Did he ever get over the sacking from Metallica? I think not.  

I think the best songs are Holy Wars, Hangar 18 and Tornado Of Souls.  And I totally agree with Scott about the Dawn Patrol track, and the bass playing as well.  I don't like Mustaine's vocals on this album nearly as much as I do on Countdown To Extinction.  That is still my favorite Megadeth album.

I did not like Megadeth at all back when they first came out. But years later, I saw the video Jon posted  about...for Hangar 18, which is an awesome song! Seeing that video for the first time made me go buy that CD, and I started liking Megadeth, and now I have most of their stuff.

But my favorite Megadeth release is "Cryptic Writings". It's a very diverse album, with quite a few different song styles.

On another note, sometime today I'l be hearing my first Tubes album all the way through!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos