Classic Rock Bottom

ALBUM OF THE WEEK # 87 BLUE OYSTER CULT - BLUE OYSTER CULT (1972)

Artist: Blue Oyster Cult

Album: Blue Oyster Cult

Producer: Murray Krugman/Sandy Pearlman

Band Members: Eric Bloom/Albert Bouchard/Joe Bouchard/Allen Lanier/Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser

Singles: Then Came (The Last Days Of May)/Cities On Flame With Rock n' Roll/Stairway To The Stars/Workshop Of Telescopes/Transmaniacon MC/Redeemed/Screams

Best Single/Best Album Cut: Then Came (The Last Days Of May)/Transmaniacon MC (Tie)/N/a

Best Of The Rest: Cities On Flame With Rock n' Roll/Stairway To The Stars

RIAA Certification: Molybdenum

Album Cover: 7/10

I started the year off last week with a classic band and I'll continue that trend this week.  From 1972 comes the self-titled debut from Blue Oyster Cult.  Quite honestly, I can't say I'm much of a BOC fan.  But I do know they have fans here, so it's about time they get featured.  I know BOC for 2 songs.  Those would be Burning For You and the song that is sort of the subject of the awesome clip below:

I know that's not the full clip, but I can't find the whole thing.  Anyway, I've seen a still photo from that skit somewhere around here.

So I don't think the album was a huge seller, as you can see from the RIAA certification above.  I can't really even say that I like it all that much, but I did realize two things by listening to the album.  First, this band plays some good guitar.  Really good.  Second, I really like track three. 

I picked this up in a Triple Feature along with two other BOC albums, so it's still quite available.  I got all 3 from Best Buy for 9 dollars.  Let me know what you think about it.

Track Listing:

Side One:

1. Transmaniacon MC

2. I'm On The Lamb But I Ain't No Sheep

3. Then Came (The Last Days Of May)

4. Stairway To The Stars

5. Before The Kiss, A Redcap

Side Two:

6. Screams

7. She's As Beautiful As A Foot

8. Cities On Flame With Rock n' Roll

9. Workshop Of The Telescopes

10. Redeemed

Views: 352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Surprised you have this. Man, you are just so FULL of surprises recently.

So this is one of those albums my brother had that formed my musical childhood.  This one wasnt as impactful as others but I woudl say the album cover and the band name were always really cool to me. 

The music has aged well, if you ask me.  Would love to hear this one remixed or re-recorded because the drum production is what kills the feel of the album.  The songs are strong...

You get a real sense of the bands identity throughout the album, but especially with the opening riff from track 2 (its easier to type "track 2" than the tracks actual title ) and with hindsight being 20/20, you can really hear where songs like Don't Fear the Reaper came from.

Recently I picked up a couple of remasters; Spectres and Agents of Fortune.  Great albums IMO!!! so I would agree that BOC hasnt gotten its due on this site, but somehow I think thats gonna change!

Real nice post!  Enjoyed this one very much!

(GO PACK GO)

There is a remastered version out there, everything up to Spectres for the studio albums. Why they haven't gone beyond that is stupid. Would love to have a remastered Cultosaurus Erectus, Mirrors, Fire Of Unknown Origin and Revolution By Night.

And I would GLADLY post more BOC. GLADLY.

What's weird is there's a new movie about an ex-BOC roadie out now (called "Roadie" and not to be confused with that 70's movie starring Meatloaf and the chick from "Porky's"), plus I just listened to Heaven Forbid by them so it looks like BOC is starting to rule!

I'm not sure, I think Fire of Unknown Origin is meant to be their best CD?

The first B.O.C. I ever listened to was this CD (Below). A Compilation. I pretty much just liked Don't Fear the Reaper, Cities on Flame, Godzilla and Burning For You. I ended up keeping mp3s of the songs I liked and trading it.

I now own this much more extensive BOC CD (though I have not even listened to it yet).

And On Your Feet on vinyl. I like their live version of Born To Be Wild! :)

I'll give this s/t BOC album a try later.

Side note: I started listening to Rush - Test for Echo last night, but fell asleep. The title-track is a lost radio "not classic", but good one in my opinion. I'm not much of a Rush fan, and I only own the one CD, but I like it! :)

Best BOC? While Fire is very good, I'm more partial to Agents Of Fortune & Cultosaurus Erectus, but like all their albums with the exception of Spectres. For some reason I have never been able to get into that album at all.  

Listening to this for the first time...ever! My favorite BOC for me has always been "Mirrors", and "Some Enchanted Evening". Even though "Enchanted" is a single record, it's still a great live album.

Mirrors is good, I had SEE on vinyl when I was a kiddie, never bothered to pick it up on CD. There was a remastered and expanded version that came out a few years ago, I don't believe it's in print any longer, but still could be.

Blue Oyster Cult performed half of what I consider was the best concert I ever attended! The opened up for Rush & I remember being very impressed with the quality & skill in which they played! Up until that point, I only knew a few hits Godzilla, I'm Burning For You, Don't Fear The Reaper & Dancing In The Ruins, but their performance left me a fan! 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos