Album: The Cars

Released: June 6, 1978

Producer: Roy Thomas Baker

Singles: Just What I Needed/My Best Friends Girl/Good Times Roll

Best Single For RJhog: Just What I Needed

Best Hidden Gem For RJhog: All Mixed Up

RIAA Certification: 6 X Platinum

Album Cover: 6/10

I have to say that I've never been a "huge" fan of The Cars.  I've always liked their singles, but I've never dug any deeper in their catalog.  But now I have two studio albums, so this week I'll feature the debut from 1978.  The album itself was huge.  It sold over 6 million copies in the U.S. alone and although only 3 songs were released as singles, 6 of the 9 album tracks are played still today on the radio (tracks 1,2,3,6,7 and 8).   

That leaves very little in the way of hidden gems.  But what struck me in the process of reading about this album is how many of the songs Benjamin Orr sang.  Of course, that's if Wikipedia has it's facts straight.  I would imagine that Scott can confirm whether or not  Mr. Orr was the lead vocalist on Just What I Needed, Bye Bye Love, Moving In Stereo and All Mixed Up.  I always thought it was Rick Ocasek for sure on Just What I Needed.  As a matter of fact, I thought he sang all of the hits other than Drive.  I also discovered that Ocasek was the sole writer of every song on this album except for Moving In Stereo.

Anyway, you can still find this quite easily.  I picked it up from from Walmart for 5 dollars.  You should too.

1. Good Times Roll

2. My Best Friend's Girl

3. Just What I Needed

4. I'm In Touch With Your World

5. Don't Cha Stop

6. You're All I've Got Tonight

7. Bye Bye Love

8. Moving In Stereo

9. All Mixed Up

Views: 394

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dont even have to listen to this, I can hear each and every song in my head note for note, and instrument by instrument!  This is one of those life changing musical moments, I wouldnt hesitate to liken to Nirvana's Nevermind, it altered musical history and the climate of music going into the 80's was never going to be the same because of this album, in that way The Cars are similar. 

Bye Bye Love is my hidden treasure, but really there are 9 classics and all 9 get airplay.  I think its safe to say it is in fact Orr singing on the tracks you were wondering about.

And they followed it up with Candy-O, another top to bottom killer album!

Best Use of a song from this album in a movie?  I think everyone on this site will agree with me, it was the famous pool scene with Phoebe Cates from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  The song was an instrumental version of Moving In Stereo.  Classic!!!

Nice Post!!!

Dang it! I was hoping to see a play button on Miss Cates.

I wish!!!!

You know I was thinking about posting the video, but I htink Niels would ban me from the site, you know, him being the Lead Moderator here and such...

Now come on!! There can't be THAT much to see. I know a much better clip with Jennifer Connolly from "The Hot Spot", that you WOULD get my "permission" to post

Unfortunately, we both know the rules...of course, you could send that clip to me privately.  If you really think it's worth seeing, 'cause Jennifer Connolly is one of my faves.

Yeah, it's worth seeing.

This is one of those albums which is just a pure classic. Shame that Scott had to compare it to Nirvana. Real shame. 

Anyway, to me this is an album that just somehow fits in perfectly with the first day of summer or when warm weather hits. Don't know why, but it's the perfect album to cruise around with (and I know I've brought cruising and cranking tunes up a lot), but this one is top of my list, if I had a list. 

IN all fairness, I didnt compare them musically, I compared them in that they both changed the muscial climate at a time when it was needed.  For me, this album was just as important in 78 as Nirvanas was in 91.

I should like this, my first word was CAR afterall, not mom or dad. I had this,found it cheap a few years ago. But other than the songs that I hear on the radio from time to time, it just didn't do it for me.

Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance? Who knows. I also hate no lyrics in the packaging. :(

I saw the vinyl release a few days ago, thought about it. But I got two from Loverboy (their first and third) and the second Rossington Collins Band on vinyl! YEAH! I really like both Rossington Collins Band releases! :)

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos