Genre: Classic Rock/NWOBHM?

Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: No

Studio Albums: 11 (1980-2008)

Album: Pyromania

Released: January 20, 1983

Producer: Robert John "Mutt" Lange

Singles: Photograph/Rock Of Ages/Foolin'/Too Late For Love

Song Of The Week: Die Hard The Hunter

RIAA Certification: Diamond (10 X Platinum)

Album Cover: 8/10

This week we will look at Def Leppard's first Diamond album.  Pyromania was released in 1983, and as previously stated, it has sold in excess of 10 million copies.  That's not too shabby.  It hit number 2 in the US on the Billboard chart, and spawned 3 Top 40 singles (Photograph, Rock Of Ages and Foolin').   It is also noted for being Phil Collen's first album with the band.  According to Wikipedia,  Pete Willis did record rhythm guitar parts for the album.  

Quite simply, this is my favorite DL album.   It's the first album I heard by the band.  I didn't discover how good the previous album was until much later, but I still like this one best.  It's somewhere between the roughness of High n Dry and the polished sound of Hysteria.  The only song that I'd probably skip while listening to it is Action! Not Words.  Everything else is top notch, with Die Hard The Hunter and Comin' Under Fire being excellent hidden gems in the Def Leppard catalog.

Of course it's easy to find.  You can also buy a deluxe version, which I don't have but I do covet.  It has a live show from way back then as the bonus disc.  I have a bootleg live show from around the same time, and I'm interested in knowing if it's the same show or not.

Next Week: Jon and I go on tour again.

1. Rock! Rock! (Till You Drop)

2. Photograph

3. Stagefright

4. Too Late For Love

5. Die Hard The Hunter

6. Foolin'

7. Rock Of Ages

8. Comin' Under Fire

9. Action! Not Words

10. Billy's Got A Gun

Views: 247

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A true hidden gem in their catalog (All I Want is Everything).

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos