Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Member: Yes

Album: Parallel Lines

Released: September 1978

Producer: Mike Chapman

Singles: Heart Of Glass/One Way Or Another

Song Of The Week: Hanging On The Telephone

RIAA Certification: Platinum

Album Cover: 5/10

Parallel Lines is this week's Album Of The Week.  It comes from 1978 and is the third studio album for Blondie.  Of course, Blondie is fronted by Deborah Harry, and since we are winding down Ladies Month at CRB, why not post a Blondie album?  The album reached Number 1 in the U.K. and Number 6 in the U.S.  It had a total of six singles released worldwide, but from what I can tell, just the two listed above in the U.S.  It managed Platinum certification and, according to Wikipedia, has sold 20 million copies worldwide.  

I just bought the album, so I have very limited experience with it.  The first two songs just jump out at you.  As a matter of fact, this week's song of the week is one I've never heard (Hanging On The Telephone), but from what I can tell was a pretty big hit in other parts of the world.  But after that, the album just totally falls off the radar for me.  I can't really say I liked any other songs except for Heart Of Glass.  Maybe I'll just try to listen again and see if it sticks a little better.  I'm sure I'll do that at least one more time before it ends up in the "never to be heard from again" pile.  If anything, this shows that I don't just post albums that I like.

It's still easy to find on Amazon if you are so inclined.

Next week:  Ladies Month at CRB wraps up.

1. Hanging On The Telephone

2. One Way Or Another

3. Picture This

4. Fade Away And Radiate

5. Pretty Baby

6. I know But I Don't Know

7. 11:59

8. Will Anything Happen?

9. Sunday Girl

10. Heart Of Glass

11. I'm Gonna Love You Too

12. Just Go Away

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What???? You had never heard "Hanging On The Telephone" before??? Probably the very first Blondie-track, I ever heard way back in '78. There a many great tracks on this album. One of my favorite's is "One Way Or Another" but also "Picture This" and "Sunday Girl". It's almost like a "Blondie Greatest Hits-album". But I'm not really a fan. They have made some good songs, but also a lot of stinkers!! And sometimes I like the style, but only sometimes. This album is the best Blondie-album ever released, though. (8/10)

Very good album, however if I was to pick a fav it wold be "Eat To The Beat". Killer album from top to bottom, not a weak track at all. Kind of like this one. Hmmm...

Sometimes I think Jon and I have different tastes in music...

I never heard Hangin On The Telephone until Def Leppard sang it.  I kinda liked it after that, but I really haven't listened to that Def Leppard album since. Sinergy also does a cover of the same song. One Way Or Another was really the only Blondie song I would've known.

I have this album of the week too, but have not even listened to it yet. I think I shall give it a spin. Thanks.

Listened to last night - Van Halen - Balance. Slaughter - Eternal Live - this morning.

Incredibly, Deborah Harry still looks the same!

HANGIN ON THE TELEPHONE:   This one is just OK for me, not a US hit and so not heard much unless you owned the album which I still dont

ONE WAY OR ANOTHER:  Always thought this was just stupid, but it sounds better now than I remember

PICTURE THIS: Picture This, I kinda liked this one

FADE AWAY AND RADIATE:  How do you do that?  Dont care for this one

PRETTY BABY:  Was ok with this until they start the talking thing

I KNOW BUT I DONT KNOW: I was sure but now Im not, but now I am, I care for this one

11:59:  Kinda liked the vocals on this one, the music isnt working for me though

WILL ANYTHING HAPPEN?:  WIll this song end?

SUNDAY GIRL: Much Better!  But a little poppy, is Blondie not as New Wave as we thought?

HEART OF GLASS:  I still like this song, not sure why, but I do!

IM GONNA LOVE YOU TOO: Not sure if I should admit to liking this one

JUST GO AWAY:  eh...

Not as bad of a listen as I thought!  Like Jon I prefer Eat The Beat, its the one I know more oddly enough.

Ah Blondie, the first time I saw them, they were on tv, performing "Heart Of Glass". I remember, thinking Wow! Here's a group with a "Hot" lead singer! I mean, who didn't have a crush on Deborah Harry back then? I always liked the song "Heart Of Glass". Blondie crossed many musical genres. I wasn't always a fan of everything, but I always enjoyed watching Deborah Harry!

I have a little greater appreciation of Blondie & their work these days. I have seen them perform recently & Deborah Harry still sounds Great!!! The album for me, was like Blondie has always been for me, hit or miss, but more of it hit than missed, so I liked the listen.

I didn't. I had a crush on Kate Bush and Karen Carpenter('s voice).

Ok, the first thing I'm gonna say is...Blondie in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, but Kiss is not???

This isn't even rock to me. It's pop...pure and simple. It's ok...I'd rather listen to this, than say, The Ramones. Because there is more than 3 chords. But I am listening to my first Blondie album all the way through. First....and probably last.

Track number three, "Picture This" has a nice little vocal melody.

As this plays on, and I'm typing this, I'm thinking...yeah, its not too bad. But it's just not real rock n roll to me. This sounds like something you might want to have spinning on your boom box, out in a pretty meadow, on a picnic, with your lady friend.

Track number 11, "I'm Gonna Love You Too" sounds like it could come straight from a "high school hop" in 1950's America. Although it actually has a decent little guitar lead.

In the end, listening to this just confirms what I already knew. The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is seriously mis-guided in their mission.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos