Classic Rock Bottom

Band Members

Ricky Warwick - Lead Vocals

Damon Johnson - Lead Guitar, Vocals

Scott Gorham - Lead Guitar, Vocals

Robbie Crane - Bass Guitar

Jimmy DeGrasso - Drums

More than likely, I don't have to explain to anyone here who the Black Star Riders are.  But just in case, the band was formed from the remnants of the band that was Thin Lizzy.  Thin Lizzy minus Phil Lynott, of course.  Basically the band was touring and writing new music without Lynott and was continuing to use the Thin Lizzy name.  Long story short, the band chose a new name under which to record the new material.   The first album, released in 2013, was named All Hell Breaks Loose.  The Killer Instinct is it's follow up.  

The album itself is packaged quite nicely.  It comes as a double digipak with trays for fastening in both CD's.  It has very nice World War II era artwork and the package has a very vintage look to it.  There is a lyric booklet and the font is big enough that I can almost make it out even without my reading glasses.  And the lyrics list who plays what guitar solo, which is a big plus in my book.  The booklet also contains the usual credits, the thanks, and a few black and white photographs of the band members.  Very well done if you ask me.

The album kicks off with the title track, a terrific opener.  That twin guitar sound is so Thin Lizzy, and Warwick's voice is very similar to Lynott's.  Of course, that's off putting for some, but not me.  This song could have been a hit at one time, but not now of course.  The solo is just one of many that defines the album's sound and feel.  The lead track gives way to Bullet Blues, yet another up tempo, strong rocker.  "Another Sunday morning in your Saturday clothes" is simply one of my favorite lyrics on the album.  Finest Hour is up next, and again it's a shame that this song will never be played on the radio.  It's a nostalgic song, singing about that old friend that doesn't seem to be around anymore. Next up is Soldierstown, a great story song.  Just the guitar tone and sound alone invokes a scene in an old movie about pirates or soldiers or some combination of the two.  

My favorite two tracks are up next.   Charlie I Gotta Go is simply a brilliant tune.  Warwick's vocals and lyrics spot on.  The song has such a great feel, and it's followed by a killer ballad.  Blindsided is probably my overall favorite track.  Warwick is on fire again vocally and lyrically.  "If I gave a damn of what you thought, I'd hand you the bottle and ask".  He seems to be quite pissed.  Damon Johnson's guitar is moody and fits beautifully.  As much as I like those first six tracks, the next three, while very decent, just don't speak to me quite the same.  Like I said, there are no bad tracks, but they just feel a tick lower than the first six.  I do think it gets back on track with the final song, You Little Liar.  But overall, I'd say the album is definitely a little front heavy.  

As mentioned earlier, this is a two disc set.  The second disc has 6 bonus tracks.  Four of those are acoustic renditions of songs on the album proper.  Those are The Killer Instinct, Blindsided (possibly just as good as it's electric counter part), Charlie I Gotta Go and Finest Hour.  These are all a nice little bonus, well done acoustic versions.  The opener on the bonus disc is a different track.  It's called Gabrielle and it is also acoustic.  Quite honestly, it's easily good enough to be included on the actual album, but I'm guessing it didn't mesh with the song style.  The other bonus track is The Reckoning Day.  It's electrified and the style would definitely mesh, but I don't think it's as good a track.  But I do like that they put these "bonus" tracks on a second CD.  To include them on the first disc would have just drawn it out too much.  

So there you have it, an album that will definitely find a place in my yearly top albums list.  Guitar goodness along with some cool lyrics and vocals.  What else could one really ask for?

Final Rating: 4.4 out of 5 Stars

Track Listing

1. The Killer Instinct

2. Bullet Blues

3. Finest Hour

4. Soldierstown

5. Charlie I Gotta Go

6. Blindsided

7. Through The Motions

8. Sex, Guns & Gasoline

9. Turn In Your Arms

10. You Little Liar

Bonus Disc:

1. Gabrielle

2. The Reckoning Day

3. The Killer Instinct (Acoustic)

4. Blindsided (Acoustic)

5. Charlie I Gotta Go (Acoustic)

6. Finest Hour (Acoustic)

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good read!

I haven't gotten to doing my own review of the CD yet.

Totally forgot to give a final rating, so I have edited the post and included it.

I've got to get on the ball and do more reviews. I've got albums, just haven't had the time.

Same here.  I hope to have at least one more up by this weekend.

I wish I could say I was able to even think about doing that much. LOL

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos