Classic Rock Bottom

Yes, I'm ripping TageRyche off.  I'll admit it.  I was going to post these in his thread, but then I just decided to make a separate thread.  But as the title says, I'm specifically posting brief thoughts about only greatest hits compilations with a maximum of two discs (I already have a separate thread regarding multi-disc box sets).  These don't get a lot of attention since we typically deal with proper studio albums, so why not.  For some reason, I've been in sort of a greatest hits mood lately.  I also invite anyone else who wants to post a greatest hits disc review to do so here, even if it's a repeat of one of mine.  And I'll do like TageRyche, I'll just keep adding the new posts to this thread.  TR, you can have your people contact my people so we can get this worked out without involving the attorneys.

Ultimate Survivor is a one disc compilation released in 2004.  It contains 18 songs that cover the period from 1979 to 1988, with one song (Rockin' Into The Night) being previously unreleased.  That last song is a cover of the .38 Special song, and is nowhere near as good as the hit version.  Of course, the hits are here.  The songs that I had not heard were good for the most part.  There were a couple of non-memorable ballads (Across The Miles and Man Against The World).  Weirdly, the last four songs had a singer whose voice I didn't recognize.  Maybe someone that reads this can tell me.  It certainly doesn't sound like Jimi Jamison.  The songs are pretty good, but I'm not impressed at all by the vocals.

Personally, I would have liked for the two ballads to be replaced by Broken Promises and Popular Girl from the Vital Signs album.  Anyway, Survivor was very melodic and this was a pleasurable listen for me.

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Entry #11

I listened to The Best of Eddie Money a couple of days ago.  I've always been a fan, although I admit that my fandom stops with his hits.  I do own three of his albums.  I picked up one of those "triple feature" sets that contains his debut, Life For The Taking and No Control.  Problem is, I really haven't spent any time with that set.  The Best Of Eddie Money was released in 2001 and features songs across Money's career, from the debut through his first greatest hits disc from 1989, which featured three new tracks at the time.

As you can imagine, the big hits are all here.  Songs like Two Tickets To Paradise, Shakin', Take Me Home Tonight, Walk On Water, Think I'm In Love, Baby Hold On and I Wanna Go Back make this a worthy purchase on their own.  You can add to that some fine album cuts like the reggae leaning Running Back, the rocking We Should Be Sleeping and the totally soulful Maybe I'm A Fool.  That covers ten of the albums sixteen cuts.  And I would be remiss if I did not mention the spectacular album track Trinidad off of the 1980 Playing For Keeps album.  A couple of live songs and three other tracks round out the album.  These didn't get any traction for me, but hearing the album songs mentioned above tells me that Eddie Money's catalog needs a bit more research on my part.

The tracklisting on this offering does not follow chronologically, which for some folks is a positive or a negative.  I don't really mind either way.  At a current price point on Amazon of $6.99, you cannot go wrong in picking up this one.  I certainly recommend it as a greatest hits compilation.

Personal Rating - 8/10 Stars

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos