Classic Rock Bottom

Christine McVie is back.  But you know that already.  That's why I readily accepted a generous offer by my great friend Scott Bedgood to see the show on a Wednesday night with work looming the next morning.  Of course, after I finally made it back home at 2 AM, I was almost second guessing the decision to go, but not really.

So Scott, his wife Julie and myself made the trip to Atlanta in just over a couple of hours.  Parking at Phillips Arena is directly across the street from the arena, which is terrific.  A short walk later, we were in the CNN Center looking for a table to sit and eat at.  Once all that was out of the way, we tried to head through the doors into the arena, but I was...sort of...turned away.  I couldn't take my camera in because it has a removable lens.  Crap!  So it was back to the truck for me to store the camera, no way was I checking it.  

After a short wait, the Mac was back!  This band has so many hits that, out of a set list that contained twenty-four songs, only one was unfamiliar to me (I Know I'm Not Wrong).  The volume did seem a bit loud to me to begin with, which distorted the vocals a little, but it seemed to settle after a few songs.  I had seen the set list before the show, so I knew the band was about to do Tusk.  I turned to Scott and asked him if he thought we would see the USC Trojan's marching band?  After a quick laugh, he pointed to the big screen behind the band.  Sure enough, through the magic of video, there they were.  We both got a good laugh out of that.  

So on and on, hit after hit, the band played. One of my favorite parts of a FM show is Lindsey's performance of Big Love.  If you've never seen it, you should Google it.  Amazing is the word I would use to describe it.  The only small hiccup was song number eighteen. Gold Dust Woman.  Not the song itself, that was great.  But this was the point in which a band inexplicably draws the show to a standstill in some way.  I'm not sure what Stevie was doing, almost some sort of witch dance (imagine that), but it was quite a downer.  No worries though, because up next was the killer I'm So Afraid.  This is basically the guitar solo spot, and it kills.  

The show was closed with two separate encores.  There was a drum solo after the first song of encore one, and Mick Fleetwood becomes quite animated during this spot.  It is quite a trip.  The first encore was closed with the beautiful Silver Springs.  This has to be the most amazing song that never appeared on a proper album.  But hey, Rumours was perfect as it was, so go figure.

And lastly, the final encore was a cool little ditty by Chris and Lindsey, Songbird.  And like that, two and a half hours later, it was over.  Simply put, it was a terrific show.  If you get the chance, take in a show.  You'll be happy that you did.

Set List:

1. The Chain

2. You Make Loving Fun

3. Dreams

4. Second Hand News

5. Rhiannon

6. Everywhere

7. I Know I'm Not Wrong

8. Tusk

9. Sisters Of The Moon

10. Say You Love Me

11. Seven Wonders

12. Big Love

13. Landslide

14. Never Going Back Again

15. Over My Head

16. Gypsy

17. Little Lies

18. Gold Dust Woman

19. I'm So Afraid

20. Go Your Own Way

Encore:

21. World Turning

22. Don't Stop

23. Silver Springs

Encore 2:

24. Songbird

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice recap of the show. I've seen the band's live performance via DVD and such, but never actually in person. Tickets were always too expensive.

Mine was 179 bucks...but I got it for free.  Sometimes, you just get lucky.

Whaaaaaaa......aaaaaaa....aaaaaaa.....aaaaaaa....t?

Would love to see these guys one more time.  Seen them in 79 and then again around 95-96 with Dave Mason and that other girl singer (Bekka Bramlett).  They were solid both times

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos