Classic Rock Bottom

So the head honchos have been on this 1983 kick for some time. They not only totally left me out of their plans but they thought it would be funny to tell me about around the same time they were ending their series. So they’re moving into the 90's and me, being the rebel I am, thought I would do the exact opposite! I'm going backwards, literally and figuratively (but those are different stories)...

Ya, this will show those two!!

Anyway... I found that the music in 1973 was friggin' awesome! Now I was only 8, so I hadn’t really got into it at that point, but I wasn’t but a year or two away from getting into music. In the meantime, this music did play in my house as I have 3 older siblings, 1 of which was a big music nut too.

So here’s 5 great memories for you all to enjoy. Where were you in 1973? Is there anything about the music from that year that stands out to you?

PLAYLIST --> http://snack.to/atpsza0f

Golden Earring
Moontan

1 - Are You Receiving Me

Opening track from the album that brought us Radar Love. Not only is it a must have album, this band has a ton of releases that are actually really good. Switch comes to mind, Cut is awesome! And Jon just posted a new release from them, can't recall the title of it but I do know it was fine listen!

Alice Cooper
Billion Dollar Babies

2 - Raped and Freezin'

Someone on here is Alice Coopers biggest fan. The production on this album is so good, but the songwriting is some of the best Coopers ever done (IMO), hard to say anything critical about it at all.

Elton John
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

3 - Grey Seal

John released two album in 1973, both classics, and both top to bottom solid. But this is the pinnacle, the absolute best John album ever.

Montrose
Montrose

4 - Make It Last

Anyone still amazed at how fresh this still sounds? Love the distortion and feel of his geetar work throughout this one.

Paul McCartney
Band On The Run

5 - Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five

I couldn’t pass up the irony of ending a 1973 playlist with a song titled Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five. And hear again, from one of the best albums of that year, maybe even the decade!

Views: 200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe it's just me, but that picture of the hatchback makes your anger comes across as more cute than angry.

Be nice or I will slam the hatch down on your fingers!

Nope, that's still too cute for me to worry.

Didn't AMC make the greatest cars EVER?

Can't recall the title of that Golden Earring album? Really? Thought it would have been a title that would stick in your memory.

Don't have this Golden Earring album, but I like this song. I might have to hunt this down, especially with this album cover.

Don't have this Alice Cooper album. Have almost picked it up many times in the past, but never have. Good song though.

The remaining three I have. You can pick ANY track from that Elton John album since absolutely none of them are duds.  Same with the Paul McCartney album. Really like both these albums top to bottom.

Nice pick from that Montrose album, have it but actually don't remember much from it. Guess I should play it again. Over and over and over so it's stuck in my mind.

Nice list, for a whiner! 

It stuck in my mind.

i remember the album title. but i didnt want to offend Niels incase he reads this weeks post.

I understand. 

The great tragedy of 1973's music scene is that Kiss didn't get started until 1974.  That being said, there is definitely a tremendous gap in the quality of music released in 1973 as compared to what was released in 1993.  Maybe Jon and I should hit the 70's after we tour the 90's...

Some nice songs here:

Golden Earring - I just picked this up recently on vinyl for a few bucks.  I also picked up Cut.  This song is absolutely killer.  I have both albums converted to mp3 and burnt to a disc, so I've got to spin them really soon.  Love the guitar on this. 

Alice Cooper - I have this too.  Haven't really listened to it, and that needs to be corrected.  I liked this song a lot.  Nice pick.

Elton John - This album has served it's duty as Album Of The Week.  Posted way back in August of 2010, click HERE if you are interested further.  This song is a terrific hidden gem, kudos to Scott for picking it out for all of us Bottom Feeders.  My favorite is probably Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding, the opening track.

Montrose - Another former Album Of The Week.  Posted in March of 2011, it's HERE if you are interested.  It's another album that I have bought only in the last few years.  Another good pick from the Scottmeister.

Paul McCartney - This is the only song that doesn't work all that great to me.  But it may need a bit more album context.  I picked this up last year but have yet to listen to it.  Leave it to Scott to add even more to my list of albums that need to be listened to.

I wish somebody here had Back In '72 by Bob Seger.  I'd love to here it as it has the studio version of Turn The Page and a cover of Midnight Rider that I've never heard.

I'm surprised you didn't include something off of Tyranny And Mutation by BOC, seeing as how you just got that nice boxed set (me too, but I can't open mine until Sunday).

And one other band that was very active during the early '70s, including '73 that I'm looking to "discover" is Grand Funk Railroad.

Terrific post bro.

Dude your so right!  I had BOC's "OD'd on Life Itself" in the short list!  And I pulled it off, dang!!

You need to check out that McCartney closer!  

I picked up Moontan tonight at the used CD store for 4 dollars and change.  I have it converted on vinyl, but I wanted the CD.  I'm in the middle of it in the truck.  I'm gonna dig out all 4 of the others here and spin them each in their entirety over the next couple of weeks.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos