Classic Rock Bottom

So the head honchos have been on this 1983 kick for some time. They not only totally left me out of their plans but they thought it would be funny to tell me about around the same time they were ending their series. So they’re moving into the 90's and me, being the rebel I am, thought I would do the exact opposite! I'm going backwards, literally and figuratively (but those are different stories)...

Ya, this will show those two!!

Anyway... I found that the music in 1973 was friggin' awesome! Now I was only 8, so I hadn’t really got into it at that point, but I wasn’t but a year or two away from getting into music. In the meantime, this music did play in my house as I have 3 older siblings, 1 of which was a big music nut too.

So here’s 5 great memories for you all to enjoy. Where were you in 1973? Is there anything about the music from that year that stands out to you?

PLAYLIST --> http://snack.to/atpsza0f

Golden Earring
Moontan

1 - Are You Receiving Me

Opening track from the album that brought us Radar Love. Not only is it a must have album, this band has a ton of releases that are actually really good. Switch comes to mind, Cut is awesome! And Jon just posted a new release from them, can't recall the title of it but I do know it was fine listen!

Alice Cooper
Billion Dollar Babies

2 - Raped and Freezin'

Someone on here is Alice Coopers biggest fan. The production on this album is so good, but the songwriting is some of the best Coopers ever done (IMO), hard to say anything critical about it at all.

Elton John
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

3 - Grey Seal

John released two album in 1973, both classics, and both top to bottom solid. But this is the pinnacle, the absolute best John album ever.

Montrose
Montrose

4 - Make It Last

Anyone still amazed at how fresh this still sounds? Love the distortion and feel of his geetar work throughout this one.

Paul McCartney
Band On The Run

5 - Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five

I couldn’t pass up the irony of ending a 1973 playlist with a song titled Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five. And hear again, from one of the best albums of that year, maybe even the decade!

Views: 200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good Call....

I gathered 'em together last night.  I've been listening to Moontan.  What a great album.  It's even progish at times, wouldn't you say?

Golden Earring, I don't know much of, and after listening to this track, I don't worry about that.

I don't think, that you are referring to me as AC biggest fan, because that would be the exaggeration of the month. I don't really dislike AC, I just don't care about (especially) his voice and...music. This one is...okay, but it won't make me a fan, or curious to listen to more. I might have heard it before, but I don't remember it.

I totally agree, that this is ET best album, by far!! But there is ONE track on that album, that I always skip: "Jamaica Jerk Off". But this one is great!!! In the summer of 1973, I remember they played "Daniel" on the radio all the time. Around Christmas they played "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" as I remeber it, but I was also only 8 as you, Scott.

The Montrose-track sounds great. I never bought this album, and have only heard it a couple of times. Never was a fan of Hagar.

I don't think, that I've heard "Band On The Run"- the ALBUM, all the way through? I never bought it, and neither did my sister or any of my friends. I LOVE the title-track, the second-best "solo-Beatles song". I probably have heard most of the songs, but maybe I should listen to the whole album? This track is great, and I know, that I've heard it before, but it's a long time ago.

Other great songs, I think, I remember, I heard around 1973 are: "Nutbush City Limit", "Ballroom Blitz" and "Jolene"

Nice list, Scott.

I don't think, that you are referring to me as AC biggest fan

I'm going out on a limb and saying he's referring to Danno.

I totally agree, that this is ET best album, by far!

I thought ET went home, I didn't know he put out any albums while he was here...

ElTon

ONE letter is wrong, and you mock the poor foreigner.

Eagerly I look at, what I hope is an interesting comment to MY
comment, but no: You MOCK me!!

By the way: ET is a danish rock-artist, full name is Erik Thomsen. HA!!

And....yeesss, I KNEW that Scot was talking about Danno. I guess the joke was wasted on you!?

Sorry, I'm not able right now to put in smileys, but now I know, why there's a laughing audience at american sitcoms :-)

The status of American SitCom's is no laughing matter!  I haven't laughed at one for years!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos