Classic Rock Bottom

Each year, so far, the music has become more and more familiar.  The more I hear, the clearer the roots of my musical life come to life.  And at this point, it feels like 1975 may be the year that I really learned to love music. If its not, then there sure is alot of music from 1975 that shaped me.

So much to hear before we decide on the impact this decade had on us. So lets jump into some Wiki-Facts (sponsored by JonsMindO'Pedia) and get a feel for the year that was...

• January 5 - The Wiz, a new musical version of the classic Wizard of Oz story, opens at Broadway's Majestic Theater in New York City.
  • January 8 - Three Led Zeppelin concerts at Madison Square Garden sell out in a record four hours.
  • March 21 - Alice Cooper, now a solo artist, begins the Welcome to My Nightmare tour in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The elaborate show is among the largest stage spectacles of the decade.
  • April 7 - Ritchie Blackmore plays a final show with Deep Purple in Paris before quitting to form his own group, Rainbow.
  • May 1 - The Rolling Stones announce their forthcoming North American tour by performing Brown Sugar from a flatbed truck on Fifth Avenue in New York City. The occasion was guitarist Ronnie Wood's debut with the band.
  • June 20 - Talking Heads perform their first show at CBGB in New York.
  • June 30 - Cher and Gregg Allman are married in a Las Vegas hotel suite.
  • August 9 - The Bee Gees begin their mid-1970s international comeback when "Jive Talkin'" reaches #1 and goes platinum with sales over 1 million.
  • August 23 - Peter Gabriel leaves British progressive rock group Genesis.
  • September 15 - Pink Floyd releases their ninth album, Wish You Were Here.
  • October 18 - Simon & Garfunkel reunite on the second-ever episode of Saturday Night Live on NBC, performing "The Boxer", "Scarborough Fair", and new collaboration "My Little Town".
  • October 27 - Bruce Springsteen appears on the covers of both Time and Newsweek magazines on the same week.
  • December 25 - Bassist Steve Harris forms Iron Maiden, drawing the name from a torture device mentioned in The Man in the Iron Mask.

PLAYLIST --> http://www.podsnack.com/CA69EFD9E8C/a1u30kut

Angel
Angel

1 - Tower

Angel was discovered by Kiss bass player Gene Simmons performing at a nightclub and was eventually signed to the same label as Kiss, Casablanca. Angel's image of dressing in all white was a deliberate contrast to Kiss, which wore black. Angel sported an androgynous image and elaborate stage sets. It was slammed by rock critics, and Frank Zappa ridiculed the all-male band’s female appearance in the song “Punky’s Whips.” Angel never achieved mass commercial success but acquired a following as a cult band.

Heart
Dreamboat Annie

2 - Soul of the Sea

Heart's first single "How Deep It Goes" b/w "Here Song" (M-7008) received little attention when released in Canada by the small Mushroom label in 1975. The second single "Magic Man" b/w "How Deep It Goes" was first picked up for radio play by CJFM-FM 96 in Montreal, while the band was on tour playing small club dates. Dreamboat Annie was released following the success of the second single. The album cover was designed by current Emily Carr University of Art and Design communication design instructor Deborah Shackleton Heart's first radio success earned them a spot opening a Montreal concert for Rod Stewart in October 1975. More Canadian airplay soon followed, partly because Heart's recordings qualified for Canadian content broadcast requirements. The album sold an impressive 30,000 copies across Canada in its first few months.

Kansas
Song For America

3 - Down the Road

Continuous touring had given Kansas a small following of loyal fans, some of whom would follow the group from one show to another. Despite the minor success of their debut album, they were still, for the most part, a struggling bar band. While Song for America did little to change that, it is their most progressive and heavy work, as their next albums would transit into a softer format. Like the first album, the writing duties were divided between Kerry Livgren and the former members of White Clover, mostly vocalist/keyboardist Steve Walsh. Musically, Song for America features complex arrangements for electric and acoustic guitar, violin, and keyboards (including piano, organ, and Arp and Moog synthesizers). Walsh’s songs reflected life on the street ("Lonely Street"), drug dealing ("Down the Road"), and temptation by Satan ("The Devil Game"). Livgren’s lyrics to "Lamplight Symphony" are centered on Christian themes, while those of "Song for America" have an environmentalist basis, both of which are reoccurring themes in his work.

Thin Lizzy
Fighting

4 - Suicide

After spending four albums trying to find their niche, the band finally forged an identifiable sound featuring the twin guitars of Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson. This sound draws from hard rock, folk, pop and rhythm and blues. It set the stage for the big commercial breakthrough of the follow-up album, Jailbreak. The album was also their first album to chart in the UK, hitting #60. The track "Suicide" was originally performed by Thin Lizzy when guitarist Eric Bell was still in the band, including on a BBC broadcast recorded in July 1973. It was first performed with different lyrics under the title "Baby's Been Messing". Another track recorded at the Fighting sessions was "Try a Little Harder", which was eventually released on the Vagabonds, Kings, Warriors, Angels boxed set in 2002.

Alice Cooper
Welcome To My Nightmare

5 - Welcome To My Nightmare

This was Alice Cooper's first solo album (all previous Alice Cooper releases were band efforts). It is a concept album; the songs, heard in sequence, form a journey through the nightmares of a child named Steven. It inspired the Alice Cooper: The Nightmare TV special and a worldwide concert tour in 1975, and the Welcome To My Nightmare concert film in 1976. In 2011, the sequel Welcome 2 My Nightmare was released. The cover artwork was created by Drew Struzan for Pacific Eye & Ear. Rolling Stone would later rank it 90th on the list of the "Top 100 Album Covers Of All Time". The remastered CD version adds three alternate version bonus tracks. Famed film actor of the horror genre Vincent Price provided the introductory monologue in the song "The Black Widow". The original version of "Escape" was recorded by The Hollywood Stars for their shelved 1974 album "Shine Like a Radio", which was finally released in 2013.

Views: 262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was very surprised with the Angel tune.

Never heard this Lizzy tune, nor the Kansas. Those two were the best for me. Lizzy 1st and Kansas second.

By the way, I saw the "final" Motley Crue tour on 8/16/14 in Atlanta, and Alice Cooper was in top form! His voice sounded really good. He has THREE guitar players in the band, of which two take turns on lead guitar. One of the lead guitarists is an absolute fox of a woman. Beautiful blonde, wearing skin tight leather. And she flat out could shred that guitar. It was a great show, and Alice really impressed me.

Pictures? 

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos