Classic Rock Bottom

And so we cone to the end of the decade and the last playlist in this series. I'd love to quote Styx's Borrowed Time - "don't look now but here come the 80's" - but we've been there as well. So what did we accomplish in this series?

• Maybe you stumbled onto the year that music first meant something significant in your life - for me that year was 1975
  • Then you may have discovered the year it really took a foothold, mine was 1977
  • What year do you own the most album from? (not singles, albums)
  • I've posted 50 different artists (5 per playlist and a bonus track here in 79)
  • I tried to not duplicate any artist, but did so with one artist by accident, which artist was that?
  • We didnt really hit on Disco, New Wave, Punk or any other genres that came from the 70's, but of those three, what genre do you still enjoy listening to?

And a big Shout Out to JonsMindOPedia for sponsoring our Wiki-Facts all decade long!! Here one last list...

• January 6 - ABC's American Bandstand featured the debut of the "Y.M.C.A. dance" using the hand gestures forming the letters YMCA during a broadcast with the Village People.
  • February 2 – Sex Pistols bassist Sid Vicious is found dead from an overdose, a day after being released on bail from Rikers Island prison.
  • February 7 - Stephen Stills becomes the first major rock artist to record digitally, laying down four songs at The Record Plant in Los Angeles.
  • February 10 – Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" hits #1 on the Billboard magazine charts, and stays there for 4 weeks.
  • March 27 – Eric Clapton marries Patti Boyd, ex-wife of Clapton's friend George Harrison.
  • April 12 – Mickey Thomas replaces Marty Balin as the lead singer of Jefferson Starship.
  • April 27 – Ozzy Osbourne is fired as lead singer of Black Sabbath. He is replaced in May by Ronnie James Dio.
  • May 2 – The Who play their first concert following the death of drummer Keith Moon. The band performs with new drummer Kenney Jones at London's Rainbow Theatre.
  • June 9 - The Bee Gees tie The Beatles with a record six consecutive number one singles in the U.S. with "Love You Inside Out".
  • July 12 – "Disco Demolition Night", an anti-disco promotional event for a Chicago rock station involving exploding disco records with a bomb, causes a near-riot between games during a baseball major league doubleheader, forcing the cancellation of the second game.
  • September 16 - The single "Rapper's Delight" by The Sugarhill Gang is released. Its success marks the commercial emergence of hip hop music.
  • October 10 – Joe Perry officially leaves Aerosmith.
  • December 3 – In Cincinnati, Ohio, a stampede for seats at Riverfront Coliseum during a Who concert kills 11 fans (band members were not made aware of the deaths until after the show).
  • Michael Schenker leaves Scorpions during their tour in France and was replaced by Matthias Jabs.
  • Disco reigns supreme in 1979, with several #1 hits from The Bee Gees and Donna Summer that year. Several artists who were not regarded as dance/disco acts, scored major successes by releasing disco singles, including new wave band Blondie with their first US number one single "Heart of Glass", Rod Stewart with "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" and rock band Electric Light Orchestra go disco this year with their UK #1 LP Discovery. Country star Kenny Rogers also issues a disco influenced album, entitled Kenny. Hard rock band Kiss also has a disco hit this year with "I Was Made For Lovin You".

PLAYLIST --> http://www.podsnack.com/CA69EFD9E8C/av7pst1z

Gerry Rafferty
Night Owl

1 - Days Gone Down (Still Got That Light)

On his second release for United Artists, Gerry Rafferty focuses an equal amount of attention on his lyrics and on the sincerity of the song's moods to create one his strongest and most heartfelt albums. Delicate, touching, and extremely poignant, Rafferty blankets all of Night Owl's tracks with a late-night/early-morning earnestness that is highly effective throughout. Although he managed to do just that with 1978's City to City, Night Owl generates a stronger intimacy and a genuine romantic feel through Rafferty's guitar playing and the way in which his lyrics are sung. The sentimental softness of "Days Gone Down," the controlled exuberance in "Get It Right Next Time," and the pathos which is instilled for the lonely wanderer in "Night Owl" all add to the album's solemn yet moving atmosphere. Rafferty continues this mood with tracks such as "Why Won't You Talk to Me," "Family Tree," and "It's Gonna Be a Long Night," giving the traditional singer/songwriter style some enchantment and allure through his vocal subtlety. In the U.K. the album broke into the Top Ten, and in the United States it sold 500,000 copies, earning Rafferty a gold disc. "Night Owl," "Days Gone Down," and "Get It Right Next Time" all cracked the Top 30

Dire Straits
Communique

2 - Single Handed Sailor

Rushed out less than nine months after the surprise success of Dire Straits' self-titled debut album, the group's sophomore effort, Communiqué, seemed little more than a carbon copy of its predecessor with less compelling material. Mark Knopfler and co. had established a sound (derived largely from J.J. Cale) of laid-back shuffles and intricate, bluesy guitar playing, and Communiqué provided more examples of it. But there was no track as focused as "Sultans of Swing," even if "Lady Writer" (a lesser singles chart entry on both sides of the Atlantic) nearly duplicated its sound. As a result, Communiqué sold immediately to Dire Straits' established audience, but no more, and it did not fare as well critically as its predecessor or its follow-up.

Survivor
Survivor

3 - Youngblood

The album lightly impacted the charts, managing a placement of #169 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the Spring of 1980. However, the opening track "Somewhere In America" was a regional hit in the Chicago area, and the song "Youngblood", with its dramatic guitar intro, proved to be something of a blueprint for the band's smash hit of two years later, "Eye of the Tiger". An additional song recorded for the album, "Rockin' into the Night", was rejected by Nevison as "too Southern"; it was given to .38 Special who turned the song into a hit. The original Survivor recording finally became available in 2004 on the compilation Ultimate Survivor. The single "Rebel Girl" was recorded about a year after the album sessions, though the Japanese release of the album on CD includes it as song number six. The 2010 reissue on Rock Candy Records appends the song as a bonus track.

KISS
Dynasty

4 - 2000 Man

Dynasty marked the first time that the original four members of Kiss didn't all appear together for the entire album -- session drummer Anton Fig subbed for Peter Criss due to the latter's erratic behavior and injuries sustained in a serious car crash. And even though it was a platinum-plus smash, Dynasty marked the beginning of Kiss' unfocused period, which would ultimately end in a nosedive of the band's popularity, as well as Criss and Ace Frehley leaving the band by 1982. In latter-day interviews, the band admitted that they started to listen to outsiders about what direction the music should go around the time of Dynasty. And since small children were a large part of Kiss' audience by 1979 (due to merchandising and the God-awful TV movie Kiss Meets the Phantom), the band began backing away from heavy metal and embracing pop.

Van Halen
II

5 - Outta Love Again

In almost every way, Van Halen II feels like its predecessor, even if there are subtle differences. First, there's only one cover this time around -- Betty Everett's "You're No Good," surely learned from Linda Ronstadt -- and this feels both heavier and lighter than the debut. Heavier in that this sounds big and powerful, driven by mastodon riffs that aim straight of the gut. Lighter in that there's a nimbleness to the attack, in that there are pop hooks to the best songs, in that the group sounds emboldened by their success so they're swaggering with a confidence that's alluring. If the classic ratio is slightly lighter than on the debut, there are no bad songs and the best moments here -- two bona fide party anthems in "Dance the Night Away" and "Beautiful Girls," songs that embody everything the band was about -- are lighter, funnier than anything on the debut, showcases for both Diamond Dave's knowing shuck and jive and Eddie's phenomenal gift, so natural it seems to just flow out of him. At this point, it's hard not to marvel at these two frontmen, and hard not to be sucked into the vortex of some of the grandest hard rock ever made.

BONUS TRACK !!!

Eloy
Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes

6- Mighty Echoes

The origin of the name of the : "The name Eloy is based on the book 'The Time Machine' by H.G. Wells. Wells describes in his book the situation of mankind about 800,000 years later, and 'Eloy' is a human race in his story. The Eloy in Wells' story have made a new start with the help of the time traveler. In a way, it was a new beginning for the human race. German rock bands in the late 1960s played mainly covers from other bands instead of playing their own compositions. Record deals for German bands were absolutely rare and German bands generally were considered to be second class bands in their own country. At that time it was a strong effort for a German band to come out with only their own compositions. It was a start into an unknown future, and from this point of view, comparable to the human race in Wells' story. That is why I got the idea to name the band 'Eloy'."

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ooh...a bonus track this week...nice.

I am here to serve!

Survivor was the repeat?

Nope... couldn't be, this was their debut year.

Warriors, come out to playyyy.

Warriors, come out to playyyy.

WARRIORS, COME OUT TO PLAYYYY.

Did we post that clip somewhere once before?  Great movie!!!

Yeah, it was posted somewhere before.

ELOY!

Rafferty - Don't have this album.  Would like to have this album.  He had a terrific voice.  It's very smooth.  I didn't remember this song by title, but as I listen to it I certainly remember it.  Simple, I have to pick up this album.  Heading over to Amazon right now to place it on my wish list.  Ouch, 20 bucks for the CD by itself or about 9 bucks for a 2-CD pack with City To City (which I already have).  Must decide whether or not to duplicate a CD I already have.  Did I mention his guitar playing sounds great.

Dire Straits - I've never been a huge fan of Knopfler's voice, but I don't totally dislike it either.  Speaking of great guitar playing.  And even with that previous comment on his voice, this is pure laid back bliss.  I don't own this album either.  I have Love Over Gold on vinyl and Brothers In Arms, this sounds like it would be a nice compliment to those.  I like it.

Survivor - My pick for the repeat artist.  I like what you have played to this point by the band, but this song doesn't really do anything for me.

Kiss - Great.  Great cover.  Great band.  Love the album and the song pick, though my favorite track from the album is Sure Know Something.  Ace was really strong on this album, and his song Save Your Love features some of his best guitar work.  I certainly prefer this cover to the original.

VH - Classic.  Just listened to this album last week.  Love this track and the album.  I still think it ranks right up there with the debut and Fair Warning as the possible best VH album ever.

Eloy - The band that Scott and Jon love.  I don't really remember being impressed by this band from what you two have posted before.  The first thing I notice here is that the vocalist really reminds me of the vocalist from Riverside, which is a band I really dig.  I'm already feeling better about this.  I was beginning to think there was not guitar, but there's the solo.  And a nice one.  Not as good as Riverside to me, but this particular song was very decent.

So, my ranking of tunes:

1. 2000 Man

2. Outta Love

3. Days Gone Down

4. Single Handed Sailor

5. Mighty Echoes

6. Youngblood 

Kinda figured you like that KISS track, probably the best cut off Dynasty (IMO).  I have the dual release Rafferty, however, if your conflicted about buying an album you already have you can get Night Owl from iTunes for 9.99.

And Eloy ranked #5?  Shocked I tell you!  Shocked!!!

Well, he posted a Kiss song #1, so what did you expect?

And what's even better is that he ranks a COVER SONG ahead of the rest.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos