Classic Rock Bottom

So our dying breed series identified scores of classic rock artists who have consistently recorded and released new music at least up to this point in time. What about those artists/bands that we continue to hold out hope for? Will they ever record again? Reunite? Do SOMETHING? They could only bolster the re-surging rock and roll movement!

Today were going to look at the 2017 rumor mill in the hopes that these are artists resurrect themselves...

Enjoy!

PLAYLIST --> http://www.podsnack.com/sgabbert/avxcej99

The James Gang
Yer' Album

1 - I Don't Have The Time

Reuniting for 50th anniversary tour and possibly recording new material? ... C’mon man! Do it!!! There’s no Eagles, you’ve released a cool solo project a few years back, what’s left? Get the gang together and get going? This rumor is one I’m seriously on board with.

“It was horrible,” Peters told Ultimate Classic Rock of Walsh’s exit from the band. “It was like going to the electric chair. It was like, ‘Now what?’ Because it was all working. Everything was working. We had found our sound, we had a good recording thing going, we had the right agents, you know, all of this stuff was in place.” He tells “Rolling Stone” it’s something that has been on his mind since the group’s previous reunion back in 2006. Walsh explains that five years ago he, Jimmy Fox, and Dale Peters got back together just to see if they “still had it,” adding that they “pretty much did.” After Walsh departed the band (after Barnstorm, he famously went on to join The Eagles), Peters admitted the group never again recaptured the magic they did with James Gang Rides Again. With any luck, that stuff will be back in place again. When teasing the band’s 50th anniversary, Walsh even joked that the band’s most famous song could spawn a great tour name: Funk 50.

Fleetwood Mac
Mirage

2 - That's Alright

What’s the real story here? New Mac or a duets album? Here’s another c’mon man! Scenario… Nicks gets a career boost and goes on a successful tour, remasters her first two solo albums and all of the sudden Fleetwood Mac go on the backburner after rumors of a new album with McVie on board. You get McVie back, clearly, after Say You Will, the band needs McVie to return to form. I don’t think anything the band does will tarnish their legacy, but why not bolster it? Why not see if the most successful lineup in Mac history still has it? I can’t be alone in wanting to hear this…

In August 2016, Fleetwood revealed that while the band has "a huge amount of recorded music", virtually none of it features Stevie Nicks. Buckingham and Christine McVie however, have contributed multiple songs to the new project. Buckingham and Christine McVie officially announced a new album tentatively titled Buckingham McVie. While Mick Fleetwood and John McVie do appear on a few tracks, it will not be considered a part of the Fleetwood Mac canon. Stevie Nicks explained her reluctance to record another album with Fleetwood Mac. "Is it possible that Fleetwood Mac might do another record? I can never tell you yes or no, because I don't know. I honestly don't know. … It's like, do you want to take a chance of going in and setting up in a room for like a year [to record an album] and having a bunch of arguing people? And then not wanting to go on tour because you just spent a year arguing?" She also emphasized the point that people don't buy as many records as they used to. Fleetwood Mac also announced another world tour in 2017

Steve Perry
For The Love of Strange Medicine

3 - Donna Please

Reuniting with Journey and/or releasing new material? Perry’s been on the yearly rumor mill for far too long. But since he stepped on the stage with the Eels these rumors have been persistent if not growing louder. Now that the RRHOF will induct Journey, the cries are at a fever pitch, this compounded with the rumors that he is in fact recording solo material... what will we actually see happen this year? I for one would love to hear him either with Journey or solo, just something! Times a wasting!

In an interview with Classic Rock Presents AOR, released in December 2010, Perry revealed that he had written many new songs and was contemplating his first solo project since 1994. "A little over a year and a half ago, I felt I could maybe come back to it, I have been writing. I have about 50 songs in a little over a year. I never thought I would do it again, but I decided to open up that room and see what I could find. It's been interesting. Some of it sounds familiar, some of it sounds contemporary, some of it you can't put a label on—and I've never been big on labels anyway." Perry is reluctant however to put a timescale on his return. "I'll be honest, I don't really know how to do that, but I can definitely smell a solo project on the horizon. I will be recording some music. In December 2015, Perry announced that he was completing a new album, which he stated was to be released in 2016, but it has yet to materialize…

Van Halen
Women and Children First

4 - In A Simple Rhyme

Recording or not recording? Roth or Hagar? Something’s brewing here… My take on all the rumors lately is that I hope they get Roth in the studio and get things going. I don’t buy the Hagar reconciliation stories and I don’t think Anthony will be let back in for any new recording (though its rumored he may make appearances on a 40th anniversary tour), but get Roth, get writing, and get recording? One thing we all know is that no matter what is really happening, the Van Halen’s will deny everything until they’re ready. Still, something’s afoot at the Circle K Ted!! And I’m in! Or maybe that’s already happening….???

David Lee Roth recently let slip that Van Halen is working on a follow-up to 2012’s ‘A Different Kind of Truth,’ and although he cautioned fans they’d have to wait awhile, it sounds like the band is making real progress. According to a source, rumors of Eddie Van Halen (from Van Halen) working in recording studio are true, with as many as eight songs having been put to tape. “It’s still in the early stages,” “He’s got security on the doors to ensure no-one hears a whisper,” a source said.

Views: 109

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fleetwood Mac IS coming out with a new album this year. Well, newly remastered, so it'll sound new!!!!!!!!!!!!! No bonus tracks like Mirage, though. But it'll be newly-minted sound experience for Tango In The Night. Yesireebob!!!!!

Personally, I couldn't care more (or less) is SP got back with Journey. It's almost like that ship has sailed a long, long time ago but it'll keep popping up.

As for VH, I wouldn't mind seeing the SH-era albums remastered, but I'm not going to cry if they never are. I'm sure something from VH in one incarnation or another will be out soon. Yes, I used a big word. 

James Gang would be interesting.

The one album I'm interested in that should be released this year is from Tears For Fears. Other than that, I can't think of any other group I'm dying to see get back together. 

Wait....maybe ELOY!!!!!

ELOY!

You got me listening to Tears for Fears again, I love Seed of Love such a freaky cool album!

James Gang - I have Thirds and Rides Again, as well as a Greatest Hits disc.  This is a cool song.  Is it Walsh singing?  Was he the only lead vocalist?  Just curious, 'cause I don't know.  But if I see any James Gang CD's for cheap, I'll certainly buy them.  I like what I've heard, including this.

Mac - Man, I dig Stevie's voice back then.  She could have easily done country music as well, and this has a definite country influence.  I'm really surprised a country hater like SG would include such a countrified song.  Hmmmm...anyway, is this from the deluxe edition from last year?

Journey - I think I have this album but have never listened to it.  Nope, I only have Street Talk.  I'd like to find this cheap as well.  This sounds just like Journey, not just because of the vocals, but musically too.  Nice pick here.

VH - I have a sneaking feeling we will see something with Hagar.  Maybe just a tour, but something.  Of course, it will all begin like they've always been the greatest of friends, and end like Hagar  is the worst dude in the world.  But it won't count if Anthony isn't involved, whether it's Roth or Hagar.  For my money, I'd rather hear new music from EVH, AVH, WVH and Roth than EVH, AVH, MA and SH.  Though I'd take either...

I think we'll get a Black Country Communion reunion this year.  Yes, I know they haven't been around nearly as long as these bands, but it will still be highly anticipated by me.

Kiss should kick Tommy Thayer to the curb and record one more album with the original, one and only Spaceman. In my opinion, there is absolutely zero musical chemistry with Thayer in the band.  It's all formulaic and difficult to listen to.  But I believe they can be inspired to write from the heart one more time with Ace.  We shall see.  By the way, I'm okay with Eric Singer staying as I think they could make an album with Ace, but not with Ace and Peter.

Styx should bring Dennis DeYoung back again.  No doubt about this one.

Foreigner needs to see if Gramm can still sing well enough to do one more album.

That's all I can think of right now.

I would be interested in the BCC disc, I really loved their first two and Hughes solo effort last year is outstanding!

And you're spot on with KISS, Thayer has no appeal or chemistry in Aces role and therefore makes zero sense to me to place him in the makeup.  Also just not a good songwriter in the KISS context either.  Though I can understand Singers position more since he has a history with the band which includes studio work as an actual band member it still feels "not 100% right" to wear the makeup.  Maybe it would make more sense to see Singer play as Catman with Ace back in the band because he has that history...  Do it one more time I say, its probably all that's left in the tank!

I've lost hope on the Styx-DeYoung debacle.  Seems irreconcilable and just like Thayer, Gowan has zero chemistry with the band in the role he's assumed, providing a poor parody of DeYoung on stage, and then there's that nagging thing about quality songwriting talent!  They are lost without the interplay - however much they hated it - DeYoung brought high quality to the table.

Definitely will be interesting to see if there's something these Foreigner reunion shows may kindle... 

Two things:

1. Ace has gained a good amount of weight.  My preference would be a semi-reunion with Ace in street clothes, no makeup.  Just get out and perform the awesome music that you guys made years ago, all while writing some new stuff that is worth hearing.

2. I heard a song yesterday that sounded like it could very well be the best Styx song that wasn't written by Styx.  It would probably surprise you to know that the song is Sweet Dreams by Air Supply.  I mean, I've heard it many times and I would say it's easily my favorite Air Supply track.  But DeYoung and the boys would have knocked this out of the park (as did Air Supply).  Listen through the whole track at all of the little things, including the lead guitar.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos