Classic Rock Bottom

This week there's only a five year span between albums, but technically this should be a nine year span since 1988's "Walking Through Fire" is not a good album. At all.

I thought that album was the last one from April Wine, and what a total downer that would have been. However, one day at a music store I saw this album and decided to give it a chance. Luckily I did because this is the April Wine I like, the ones who ROCK.

The album cover and title says it all: "Attitude", which this album delivers in spades (which means what, exactly?). This was a pleasant surprise when I popped the cassette in the car's tape deck and found that this, well, ROCKED.

Lots of geetar here (three playas listed), but those looking for an April Wine ballad won't be disappointed since there's a few and those looking to ROCK will definitely not be disappointed.

Thinking this marked a comeback, I purchased the followup "Frigate" and that was it for me. A couple more albums followed but I just didn't care anymore. 

Now, this was released in 1994 so do you think many people even noticed or cared?

So...........

WAS IT WORTH IT?

Attitude

1. Givin It Takin It
2. Good From Far, Far From Good
3. If You Believe In Me
4. That's Love
5. It Hurts
6. Hour Of Need
7. Here's Lookin At You Kid
8. Better Slow Down
9. Strange Kind Of Love
10. Can't Take Another Nite
11. Luv Your Stuff
12. Emotional Dreams*
13. Voice In My Heart
14. Girl In My Dreams

Availability: Used, starting around $5.

*Depends on where you look, but the title on the CD is "Emotional Dreams" yet it's also listed on some sites (and the player) as "Smothered Dreams" so call it what you want.

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm am owner of said "LAOTW", and yes this one was definitely worth it!

I really like Walking Through Fire. Oh well! I have the vinyl and cassette on ebay of Walking, but nobody seems to want it. :(

One For The Road, Canadian Tour 1984 is also really good, but I only have an Itunes version of that one! :)

Thanks for the review of Attitude. I added it to my list of things I'm watching on Ebay.

NP: Loverboy - Classics.

I'm listening right now.  Dang, this sounds like another band but I can't place who it is.  

Just figured out what I'm hearing.  It's John Wait.  Vocally this sounds like him.

This is pretty good stuff.  I have two or three April Wine albums.  From this and the other stuff I've heard, they are definitely a bit underrated.  

And I'm telling you, I'm really hearing John Waite's voice on this.  I've never noticed that about April Wine before.  Is this the same singer from the beginning or has the band changed vocalists?

Overall, it's a pretty good album.  I'd say it's about 4 songs too long.  Take out that first ballad and the last two ballads (I liked the second ballad) and maybe one more song, cut it to 10 and I'd like it better.  That's one of my complaints about the rise of the CD format.  Bands started watering down their music by putting 12-16 songs on one CD.  When I was young I had hours to sit around and listen to "double albums", but now that I'm older I don't.  

Anyway, I'd say worth it.

It's still Myles Goodwyn, he's been the singer since the beginning.

Goodwyn is impressive on stage.  Much like Dave Meneketti he handles all of the lead vocal duties but also much of the lead geetar work as well, and he does it with a style and ease thats really cool to see live.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos