Classic Rock Bottom

Have you ever wanted something to be a surprise, only to be ruined by someone?

Someone got in touch with me recently and wanted to go on tour again. I agreed because it would be funny since there's a certain someone who just does not like The Smithereens. We figured we would overload this person with The Smithereens so he would go with completely insane or completely stop listening to anything we ever posted again. 

Right now I'm in the middle of a theme but, for fun, decided I would take a break just to make that first someone happy. I figured I would be stealth about it with no mention at all that I was going to join in on the fun. 

Then this happened: "So this week Jon and myself are further introducing you to The Smi...

Surprise ruined.

I am so very angry right now I can only say that this album was released in 1994.

A Date With The Smithereens

1. War For My Mind

2. Everything I Have Is Blue

3. Miles From Nowhere

4. Afternoon Tea

5. Point Of No Return

6. Sleep The Night Away

7. Love Is Gone

8. Long Way Back Again

9. Gotti

10. Sick Of Seattle

11. Can't Go Home Anymore

12. Life Is So Beautiful

Availability: Really, really, REALLY cheap.

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If U R trying to make me feel bad, you need to try harder...it ain't workin'.

I'm working up to listening to this, but I'm still recovering from the other smothers brothers, uh... Smothering, uh... Smitherwhatstheirfaces listening experience....

Smither-frickin'-reens dude!

You have no choice but to listen, so man up!. Plus it's in "Living Stereo", so what's the big deal?

You sure this isn't the same album RJ posted?  Sure sounds familiar and there's even another tune with the word "blue" in it...

Everything I'm hearing isn't clicking, its just starts to sound the same song after song

Look, I'm not trying to be rude, and it not that is awful its just not something I would like

On the other-hand, they should be able to find 10 good songs to make a greatest hits CD

Yet, even that may not help me ...

Oh well, I tried, gave it the ol' college try, went the extra mile, stepped up to the plate, persevered to the bitter end, and I came out better than before!  Just didn't come out liking the Smitherweenies...  or whatever their name it...

Thanks for thinking of me this week.  Niels is next?

Niels would probably not like this just as much as you do...except he's not listening.

True...

I started this over the weekend, but couldn't really get into it.  So I regrouped and listened today.  Overall, I'd say it's average for a Smithereens album.  Some context.  I bought their first official release (Especially For You) and loved it.  Bought Green Thoughts as soon as it came out, loved it.  Bought 11 as soon as it came out, liked it, didn't love it.  I think I like it more now.  Bought Blow Up when it came out, didn't really care for it.  Didn't buy anything else until 2011 came out.  

I have been backtracking however, and have repurchased Blow Up (lost it somewhere) and plan to revisit it soon.  This is the first time I've heard this album.  I think tracks 1, 2 and 4 kinda throw a person off.  They are slow paced and have a real dirty/grungy feel.  Tracks 3, 5, 7, 8, 11 and 12 are very Smithereens-like.  I don't like Sleep The Night Away, Gotti or Sick Of Seattle.  I think the best song here is Love Is Gone and it should be on any greatest hits compilation for the band.

Nice post Jon boy...Too bad Scott and Niels just don't know.

I know. Well, no more Smithereens from me since it's hated so much! Guess those other 20+ albums will just have to gather dust.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos