Classic Rock Bottom

Well, this is kind of NICE.

And no, not NICE in a good way. 

About a month ago I received an email from someone asking if I wanted to join up and post some Smithereen albums with him. I thought it would get a good laugh since somewhere here cannot stand The Smithereens.

With about 800 Smithereen albums to choose from, I kind of figured this person would keep posting them. Alas, he kind of wimped out after someone's comments about The Smithereens this past week. 

So, instead of posting another album by that band, he went a different route and left me twisting in the wind. To add insult to injury, he went ahead and posted an album by (ugh) Kiss. Nice job, guy!

I persevere though. Nobody how much he begs in the future, no matter how much money and/or perks are thrown my way, I will NOT ever "tour" with him again.

Now, onto this week's album.....

Released in 2009, "The Smithereens Play Tommy" is just that. The Smithereens running through The Who's rock opera (but not ALL of it). Pretty simple, I must say.

They did do a couple Beatles albums before this and for the life of me, I can't think of any other band that has covered a whole album by another group, discounting live albums and tribute albums.

Best thing about this is that it's really not bad at all. Surprisingly so. 

And dig that artwork, which is done by William Stout who has done artwork for several Who bootlegs!

The Smithereens Play Tommy

1. Overture

2. It's A Boy

3. Amazing Journey

4. Sparks

5. Eyesight To The Blind

6. Christmas

7. Acid Queen

8. Pinball Wizard

9. Go To The Mirror

10. Tommy, Can You Hear Me?

11. Sensation

12. I'm Free

13. We're Not Gonna Take It/See Me Feel Me

Availability: Around $14.

Views: 126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Spooky...  I was listening to Tommy (The real one) today in the car

So this should sound familiar!

uhh..., hmmm... lets see.....  Searching for something positive.  I got it!

The production is real nice, the potential this had to sound really cool was there.  The musicianship wasn't, they missed on several points and this ended up just being OK.

To that end, I remind you of a promise you made to never post Smithereens again, no crossies, right?

Yes, I promise. I swear.

This is my first time hearing this.  And probably my last.  Not 'cause it totally sucks or anything, but it's just okay.  I like some parts and don't like other parts.  I'm not crazy about the additional vocals (Dinizio's are okay).  And I really don't like Pinball Wizard.

I say just stay with your own music...unless you wanna re-record Music From The Elder.  

The Smithereens ReDo The Elder ...

Sacrilege!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)