Classic Rock Bottom

Whew. After that debacle last week, I am back on track.

This week we're going to celebrate Heart since they have a brand new album as well as a nomination to join the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame PLUS this week's featured album, 2004's "Jupiters Darling", continues my theme of albums released 5+ years since the artists' last one. (Is that good English?)

This was Heart's first studio release in 11 years since the criminally underrated"Desire Walks On" which I felt was a huge step in the right direction after their processed 80's output. Since I didn't hear anything about Heart after that release, I figured that was it for them.

While driving home from work in Vegas, I was listening to the radio and the DJ said they would be playing a new Heart song. The song was "Oldest Story In The World" and when that geetar faded in and then the rest of the band kicked in, I knew that Heart was back and with a vengeance.

THIS was the Heart I grew up with and THIS was the Heart I was dying to get back (which, I cannot stress enough, they almost did on that previous album). Note that this album doesn't have that 80's sound either which bugged the crap out of me, but why would it? It's from 2004! 

Of course with their next album, "Red Velvet Car", they went really mellow. Oh well. 

So....

WAS IT WORTH IT?

Jupiters Darling    

1. Make Me
2. Oldest Story In The World
3. Things
4. The Perfect Goodbye
5. Enough
6. Move On
7. I Need The Rain
8. I Give Up
9. Vainglorious
10. No Other Love
11. Led To One
12. Down The Nile
13. I'm Fine
14. Fallen Ones
15. Lost Angel
16. Hello Moonglow

Availability: C'mon, spend the $6!

Views: 226

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember reviewing this album when I wrote a column for a now defunct pop culture website. I can't remember what I thought of the album though. I don't think I've listened to this in a long time.

Was it worth it?  Yes!

This is more acoustic driven than I remember, but its really strong all the way through.  At first you look at the track list and think "16 tracks, must be some filler" - but not very many of these would qualify as filler.  I suppose when you go this long between albums with this much songwriting talent that this is gonna happen.

Still the only complaint I have is that its is 16 tracks long and not a one sitting listen unless you have more time than I do.  To that end I have to think that some of this would have made Red Velvet Car a much better effort, but that's a different review.

Nice post and better recovery from that Smothers Brothers, Smiths Cough Drop, or whatever band that was last week...

I'm gonna have to agree with Scott on all accounts.  This is fantastic.  And the great thing is, I already own it.  

The acoustic work is outstanding.  This is much better than Red Velvet Car.  Not a bad song in the bunch.  Even the rockers are very good.  And pretty dang heavy for Heart.  

The only drawback is the one Scott mentioned.  It's too long for one setting.  This would have been a great candidate for a double disc release.  

Jon, this is one of your best LFAOTW posts.

Just now stumbling upon this (I do that a lot...stumble, that is). I'm currently on track 5, and I agree...this is very good so far.

Until recently, the only Heart I had was a double "greatest hits" album from the early 80's. I have that on vinyl. It has a few live tracks, as well. But recently, I bought another Heart greatest hits on CD. Found it for very cheap. Only 7 or 8 bucks, I believe, and it has 17 tracks, I think. It's awesome.

But anyway, getting back to this...I'm liking this enough to add to my "radar screen". I'll purchase this I think, once I find it for a decent price. So, yes, I think the wait was worth it...although I don't have any releases to really compare it to. Ann Wilson is a great singer, for sure.

You need to get their 70's stuff (minus "Magazine"). If you like this, you'll like that!

I own all their studio releases so I'm set there.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos