Classic Rock Bottom

Thanks to Scott and his posting of "Ocean" from Eloy a couple days ago as his weekly SHT List, I just had to get myself some of this band's stuff since it was truly amazing.

I took the last couple days off from work just so I could find some Eloy. A couple thousand miles later and visits to six different states as well as a different country, I was able to track down an Eloy album.

This band has impressed me so much that I put the last album in my latest series on hold just so we here, as Classic Rock Bottom, can revel some more in the glory that is Eloy. 

As chance would have it, the album I found is the sequel (kind of) to Scott's post! Amazing how things work out like that! What's even more wicked cool is that "Ocean" was released in 1977 while this album, titled "Ocean 2: The Answer" was released a whopping 21 years later! Amazing!  

Since all of you (one) have listened to Scott's excellent post and liked "Ocean" (even though you're afraid to admit it), you will also love this album (even though you're probably still afraid to do any admitting). 

Even though this is titled "Ocean 2", according to band leader Frank Bornemann, this is NOT a sequel to "Ocean". Go ahead and decide for yourself.      

Ocean 2: The Answer

1. Between Future And Past

2. Ro Setau

3. Paralysed Civilization

4. Serenity

5. Awakening Of Consciousness

6. Reflections From The Spheres Beyond

7. Waves Of Intuition

8. The Answer

Availability: I didn't have to travel thousands of miles for this since it's available for around $8. However, I couldn't wait for delivery since I know all of us here, at Classic Rock Bottom, wanted more Eloy this week!

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In all seriousness when I ran across this band I had to tell Jon about them, I knew he may be the only who understood what I was hearing.  And he really did take to them.  There is so much to like about this.  I love the excitement of finding music and when it uncovers the catalog that these guys have put out, well, thats a huge bonus.

Just think RJ, 18 studio albums from ELOY!  This may last well into March and April of 2013...  Of course we could drag it out through the whole year and into 2014 as well...  One really long song at a time!  haha  I kid...  Or do I?

I really like this follow-up that's not really a follow-up concept, it works really well in this case.  I will picking at acquiring this bands catalog, it make take me a while but I think its a task well worth following through on!

Nice post Jon and thanks for humoring all of us along the way!  I know that we found a really cool band!

And they also have really cool album covers!

I want Niels to listen to this.  He is the other "prog" fan and I'd like to know his opinion.  In the meantime, I will say that this is better than the Eloy that was in SHT.  In spots, it's very good musically.  Some of the guitar playing is fantastic.  The production is very, very good.  It definitely has the "ocean" feel to it.  Of course, maybe that's because you could hear the ocean between many of the songs.

The vocals still kill it for me, although they don't seem as obtrusive as with Scott's post.  This makes me think of a movie soundtrack.  Think Titanic.  A really long movie soundtrack based around the ocean.  I know, a modern day Atlantis.  This would really fit a movie like that.

Overall, not a bad post Jon.  Still not on my wish list, but a very decent listen for a Monday morning.

Yessir, I'll take a listen right away 

It can only be better than the new Aerosmith, I've just been listening to 

Well, the start suggests that it is some kind of Pink Floyd rip off.

When he starts to sing, it reminds me of the Flower Kings, and I'm not a big fan of FK. Nice synth on the end of the first track.

The start of the second track sounds like Rush. He sounds a bit like the "singer" from Krafwerk. "Don't menzion ze war".

These guys sounds definitely like a cross between Floyd, Flower Kings and Marillion with a little Rush on the side. Nice guitar-solo on the second track. The first two tracks were not bad, but I'm not a fan yet. I'll have to listen to the rest a little later on.

You don't hear any Kiss influence?

Zero... None... Nada... That's why we like it! Haha....

...and why I don't like it.  

Just kiddin', like I said, despite the vocals, this is alright.

KISS influence? What am I missing here? You think I'm mentioning too many bands or what? Every "new" band always reminds me of some other bands.

Third track has a slow start, and it DOES remind me of something, but I can't put my finger on it. And then it's over. Third track was crap. Hey, I think I'm lost here. That was the fourth track.

Fifth track has yet another start like Rush, and then he starts to sing. Boring singer, just like Roine whatshisname from Flower Kings. But the music is not bad. Now they remind me a LITTLE bit of old Roxy Music. Probably the way he just sang. I can't hear that the production is "very, very good" though. I'm beginning to have a feeling, that if I hear this a few times, it will grow on me, but I kind of miss some "speedy" songs. I wanna rock!! 

But I can hear why Jon and Scott likes this band. It is good music. And you're right, RJ, the guitars are pretty good, when they are there!!

When all this is said, it's SOOO much better than the new Aerosmith, believe me. Especially the tracks where Joe Perry sings lead are utter rubbish!! But enough of that now. I'll save something until NMC. Maybe it's a grower too 

Yes my Danish brother, that was my poor attempt at a joke.

Consider listening to the SHT post as well.

Yes, I forgot to mention that Niels.  You must find time to listen to both.  C'mon man, you can do it, you're better than Harold Washington!

I wonder if any of the regulars will get that Harold Washington reference?

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos