Classic Rock Bottom

With the ho-hum attitude about last week's L/F album it's obvious to me folks here aren't as old as I thought since they want METAL, as long (for some) it doesn't have a nekkid guy on the album cover.

This is why I'm here. To give the people what they want! And they want geetar! Lots of geetar!

Just don't get high off of my supply. I don't want to hear how this ruined your life or whatever. It doesn't matter to me. THIS is what you want and THIS is what you're going to get!

"THIS" is the debut album from Racer X released in 1986 and featuring a youngster named Paul Gilbert on geetar. Now, I'm not a geetar aficionado but something in me thinks this guy can play! I could be wrong, but it's just a sneaky suspicion that I have. 

Rounding out the group are Jeff Martin (vocals), John Alderete (bass) and Harry Gschoesser (drums, who was replaced by Scott Travis for the followup and who eventually found himself pounding the skins in Judas Priest.

The vocals might not appeal to some, but that's ok. Listen to the geetar. It's heaven! 

Listen to song # 8, "Y.R.O" and guess what the title means. Should be easy if you know a little something about geetarists.

Oh, and yes. The first song might give folks a flashback to a certain iconic geetarist.....

Street Lethal

1. Frenzy

2. Street Lethal

3. Into The Night

4. Blowin' Up The Radio

5. Hotter Than Fire

6. On The Loose

7. Loud And Clear

8. Y.R.O.

9. Dangerous Love

10. Getaway

11. Rock It

Availability: Around $14.

Views: 123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gonna get to this later, but wasn't there an old Sega game called Racer X? Maybe it was a a super Ninteno game, not sure, but this sure sounds familiar in that way...

I think it was a character in Speed Racer.

This was kinda weak if you ask me.  Not musically.  There is some serious wailing on the geetar by Gilbert.  That opening guitar solo reminds me of somebody named Eddie.  The biggest drawback here is the horribly produced vocals.  Especially on a song like Hotter Than Fire.  That's some pretty bad vocal ability there.  It sounds very dated.  It's a long way from the worst thing I've ever heard, so that's what I think.

Everything feels very, oh I don't know...  Atari-ish?

I'm gonna have to agree with RJ on this one, sounds very dated, really nice geetars and very disappointing vocals.  Production is very lacking.

For some reason I cant get past the Gamer, 10-13 year old demographic that this would appeal to, by name and album cover.  Maybe that's what their management was looking to appeal to?  Hard to believe that listening to the music though.  So in the end this is a very confusing record...

The YRO tune is allright, and I didn't get the reference until I cheated and found a reference, and then it totally made sense..  I will wait and see if anyone else can get it...

I thought about getting this on Vinyl too, just for the album artwork. I really liked the title-track "Cause I'm Street-Street Lethal" when I first bought this album. Really missing being able to listen to the radio at work. Sad. :(

This was my very first introduction to one Mr. Paul Gilbert. Have it on cassette somewhere. But I have to disagree with RJHog and Scott on this one.

I think the production, though not outstanding, is still very solid...especially for this era. I also think the vocals sound fine to me, and "Hotter Than Fire" is actually my favorite track on the whole album. "Loud and Clear" is a killer track, as well. I don't get that "dated feel" on this at all.

Great choice Jon, this is good stuff!

That's because you are dated, so you can't tell it...

My complaint with the production is directed toward the vocals only...I think the combination of the "not so great singing voice" and it's production aren't good. 

Thanks for a good laugh!! I am definitely dated! It seems like the 80's were just a minute ago!

And you listen to this album for....Paul Gilbert! Amazing talent. I love him, in a manly way. 

ewwww...

Just don't flash your man boobs...

Got a mansierre for thise!

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)