Classic Rock Bottom

It was 30 years ago.....ummm, today? Well, maybe not.

First weekend of a new month in 2013 can only mean one thing: an album from 1983! Whoever came up with this plan is brilliant!

This week we're going to give the ladies some love. Some METAL love, courtesy of England's Rock Goddess and their self-titled debut from........1983 of course!

You have Girlschool of course, so why not have another all female metal band? And why not have it with a couple sisters playing geetar and drums with a friend on bass? And why not have the drummer be all of 5 years old with the geetarist only a few years older than that?

I kid of course. The drummer wasn't really 5 years old. 15 maybe. But the band was formed in 1977 which means that the drummer was only 5 years old then! I'm good at math!

Anyway, it's all female NWOBHM. This album did hit the charts......IN ENGLAND. THey like their metal there. The same year they released their second album which also charted.....IN ENGLAND. The third album was released only......IN FRANCE. Say what?

The did tour in support of this album, co-headlining with Iron Maiden and Y&T in England, and then with Saxon in France, so they must have been liked......OVERSEAS. 

Sadly, they're no more (well, they really haven't been for a long time). They were supposed to play at a metal festival in 2009, but split up before performing. Such is life.      

Rock Goddess

1. Heartache

2. Back To You

3. The Love Lingers Still

4. To Be Betrayed

5. Take Your Love Away

6. My Angel

7. Satisfied Then Crucified

8. Start Running

9. One Way Love

10. Make My Night

11. Heavy Metal Rock 'N' Roll

12. In The Heat Of The Night

13. Our Love's Gone

Availability: Hurry! Only one copy left!

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I looked the band up on wikipedia.  The last two tracks are not listed in the wikipedia article. Are they bonus tracks?  Anyway, I thought the first 5 songs were really good.  Especially Heartache and The Love Lingers Still.  Then it just totally went away from me.  

I did like the guitar work as well as the bass work.  The drums were okay, but not very "rock n roll" in a few places.  I did like the vocalist.  She has a killer voice.

Overall, not a bad album, just flat after a great beginning.  Pretty dang good for teenagers though.

Flat?  Flat?  FLAT?  I don't see anything flat about this post...  oh wait, you were referring to the music..  My bad...

Yeah, I included the whole CD with the two bonus tracks.

I've seen Rock Goddess live twice. Both times in 1983, where they were opening for Saxon (sometime in March, I think) and Def Leppard (in september on the Pyromania-tour) on their european tours. But I never really liked them though.They weren't good looking either. I know, because I've been standing right next to them, as they were getting ready to go on stage. One of my friends back then was crazy about them. Especially the singer and frontwoman.

I've been pickin' around this playlist the past couple of days and for me its not that good.  I didn't hear anything other than some pretty OK geetar work but everything felt the same ...  same beat, same crunch, same vocal styling, etc...

The drumming was off, so I agree with RJ on this point, something wasn't right about it.  Also have to agree that, though I didn't get into the album, it is an impressive effort considering their age at the time.

Its still cool to hear this stuff...  Nice post

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

Birthdays Today

Birthdays Tomorrow

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos