Classic Rock Bottom

After last week's AOTW posting of Cheap Trick's "Heaven Tonight", I promised that I would post something from the 80's that some folks believe is a truly horrendous Cheap Trick album.

"The Doctor", released in 1986, was the followup to the wonderful "Standing On The Edge" and to say this was a misstep might be quite the understatement. Start with the cover art which is quite ugly. Would you pick up an album with that cover?

Next is the production. This being the 80's, it has that 80's production vibe and everything here is all over the board. Noise here, noise there, noise everywhere. It sounds very manufactured which was an 80's thing I suppose. 

Upon first listen, it's just a complete mess. You really have no idea what's going on. Is it just noise? Are there actually songs here? 

Funny thing is, this album really isn't as bad as some folks think it is. First time I heard it many years ago, I had no clue what was going on, especially for a followup to "Standing On The Edge". For some reason I thought the album was too "arty", maybe it was because of the cover art.  However, a revisit to this album makes me hate it less.

The followup album to this was ""Lap Of Luxury" whcih found Cheap Trick playing it safe and making music for the masses. Guess you could point to this album as the downfall to Cheap Trick, but thankfully they resurrected themselves with "Woke Up With A Monster" in 1994.

The Doctor

1. It's Up To You
2. Rearview Mirror Romance
3. Doctor
4. Are You Lonely Tonight
5. Name Of The Game
6. Kiss Me Red
7. Take Me To The Top
8. Good Girls Go To Heaven
9. Man -U- Lip-U-Lator
10. It's Only Love

Availability: Spend around $13 and it could be your, ugly cover art and all!

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Man, I hated this album, when it was released. I really thought at the time, that it was gonna be my last CT-album, and the only reason that I bought Lap Of Luxury was because of the return of Tom Peterson. There were a couple of really good tracks on LOL, but I can't remember one track from this one. I don't think, I've heard it since 1986, but I might just give it a listen now. I don't think, that WUWAM was a resurrection. CT never was the same again after Peterson left in 1981. 

Never heard any of this before. But for me, Cheap Trick's strong point was always the vocals. And the vocals are still there on this release. But musically, it just reaffirms my personal feeling on CT....just not that good.

To me, this particular record sounds like a band who is not sure who,or what,they are. On track 4 so far, and the title track has been the best so far. But not much guitar so far on this record...even rhythm guitar is not that present in the mix so far.

Now on track 5, and at least the guitar has more "presence" on this track. This song is pretty good, actually.

Track 6 is back to having that "poppy keyboard" sound and feel that just makes me want to skip the track.I like the guitar on this track, but it is way down in the mix, being over-ridden by the keyboard. This cut has a strong chorus, though.

I'll stop with the track by track commentary, but for me, this is like a pop record. It's not a rock n roll record, at least in my book. The vocal work is very good, as usual for CT. But overall, I'd have to say its not a record that holds my interest. Its certainly not bad, but its not anything I feel the need to hear again.

uh....   ewww!

Gordon hit this on the head, this isn't rock and roll its pure pop! There was very little to like about it, and though it is very dated, Im not sure I would have liked in 1986 when it was more time period appropriate.

Your right though, in the last weeks AOTW you said you would post an album that would stop my Cheap Trick love-fest, and you did exactly as you set out to do.  Im sticking with all thing CT until Dream Police and I will leave it at that...

Must have Standing On The Edge.  And you should give Rockford a listen, it's much better than this.

Also must have the '97 album. Soon to be posted, if I get enough requests.

If its better than this post away... Love hear good cheap trick

Yeah, this ain't the best CT album for sure.  I agree with it being a mess, but the second half is much better than the first half.  The final track (It's Only Love) is actually a pretty dang good song.  I remember having this on cassette, may still have it for all I know.  But I have picked it up on CD trying to finish out my CT collection.  It did follow my favorite CT album, so I'm not surprised it was a bit of a let down.  But they should have filled it with songs like the last one...just sayin'.

RSS

Question Of The Week

CRB Features (Click photo to visit)

Birthdays

There are no birthdays today

CRB Staff Members

In Memory Of

Norma Jean Fox
(11/30/1945-9/7/2010)

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos